Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Tail Gate...

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by 85blaze, Jul 24, 2000.

1. 85blaze

85blaze 1/2 ton status

What do all you guys/gals think about the aftermarket tailgates? I am thinking i need a new one instead of all doing all the rust repair work that mine needs... They fit ok? body lines all good?

Project Silver Bullet
    http://coolwebworks.com/blazer/12jul991.htm

2. jcg

jcg 1/2 ton status

I'm in the middle of putting my new one together. It should be on the truck buy the end of the week (waiting for parts) and I'll let you know how it looks. I got it through the body shop that's swapping my tub for about $150. It came from Taiwan but so far it looks good. There's a small wavy spot near the bottom right corner that can be taken out with a body hammer, everything else is perfect. There's a lot of sharp edges on it to but a deburring tool takes care of that real quick.

Joe
    Rochester Institute of Technology Team Mini-Baja
    88 Jimmy

3. Dave

Dave Registered Member

I can sell you a new GM tailgate if you are interested. It will definately fit better than those sweatshop parts, and is thicker........as not to start rusting out as quickly.

Dave Hiller
    90 K-5
    "The Anti-SUV"

4. shaggyk5

shaggyk5 1/2 ton status

how much?

shaggyk5

aint nuthin in the world like a heavy chevy!!

5. 89Jimmy

89Jimmy 1/2 ton status

I paid $200 for an aftermarket tailgate. New GM was way more money. I am not happy with the fit. I am also not a bodyman. I tweaked it as much as I could, splitting the difference on gaps,etc. I could not get it to line up right.
    At 30 m.p.h. it looks ok. :-)
    John

So Much to do, So LITTLE cash.