Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

tail light guards effectivness?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Rix_Gotta_Blazer, Oct 21, 2002.

1. Rix_Gotta_Blazer

Rix_Gotta_Blazer 1/2 ton status

are they even really neccesarry? how much protection can one really get from them? anybody have any experiences. can they actually protect your lenses? thanx.

2. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

Those screens that bolt over the lens.....Ahhh might help a little. I ended up putting a big 2x2 upright on the end of my bumper to try to save taillights. Helped some and I only had to replace on in the last 12 months. The year before I went through 6 /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif I run a lot of rutted out trails where the body ends up leaning into stuff.

3. 88K5Jimmy

88K5Jimmy 1/2 ton status

For the bolt on ones, I would find it better to spend the money at the local junk yard pullin how every many lenses you can get for how much those bolt on guards cost. It just depends on how many trails you go through that are tight enough to break tail lights. Just my opinion.

4. wrathORC

wrathORC 1/2 ton status

From what I've seen they just cause more carnage.

I'd be inclined to just pull the lenses off when I went wheelin' if I were you. It's only four screws. I'd just leave the buckets in there. This way nothing hangs out.

The lenses are cheap. I bought new markers and tail lights for under $30 shipped to my door.

I, myself, avoid getting that close to things with them. I don't mind scratches but I don't like dents. However, I did almost have a coronary a couple weeks ago when I got my first full-length scratch on my 3 month old paint.

5. BorregoK5

BorregoK5 1/2 ton status

I integrated tubing off my bumper to wrap around the corners of the truck where the tail lights are. This last trip would have smashed all four corners of the truck without them but instead they were completely saved!