Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

tail light problems

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by 88k5blazin, Jan 10, 2007.

1. 88k5blazin

88k5blazin 1/2 ton status

my driver side tail light and side light are not working. when testing the bulb the bulb was still good and the blinker still worked but tail light does not work
    thanks in advance for any help

2. skyyk5

skyyk5 1/2 ton status

sounds like a bad wire or bulb socket. what side light? front?

3. 88k5blazin

there is alittle side light next to the main tail light about three inches over onto the side of the truck

4. skyyk5

skyyk5 1/2 ton status

i would check the wires runing to that side then. if its on a k5 they run beetween the tank and bumper. do you have trailer lights?

5. 88k5blazin

i have the harness for the trailor lights but its not grounded, i've never used them is there anyway to locate a trouble in a wire other than just looking around the whole thing

6. skyyk5

skyyk5 1/2 ton status

how much do you know about electrical? well i just looked under mine and i can see the plug on the driver side under the truck by the bumper. you can unplug it there and put your lights on and see if there is power at the plug (should be the brown wire). use a test light or meter. make sure you have a good ground if you use either to test. if there is power at the plug, then your problem is from the plug to your lights. or a bad prong on the plug. if there is no power follow the wire back to were it connects to the passanger side and see if you can spot a crack or breek in it. if there is a crack in the coating the inside of the wire could get wet and "be nomore". since you have trailer wires my guess is thats where the problem is. lots of people use the push on splices and the wire just rotts away at that spott over time. or if it's the plug in type could be there. let me know what you find.

7. 88k5blazin

thanks a lot man i appreciat the info i'll let ya know how it works out this weekend