Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Tail lights not working?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Toledo, Jun 8, 2002.

1. Toledo

Toledo 1/2 ton status

Both of my rear tail lights and blinkers have stopped working for no obvious reason. /forums/images/icons/confused.gif I have checked the bulbs and fuses and they are all intact. Also my brake lights work fine. I really hate electrical stuff so any tips would be greatly appreciated.

2. 70~K5

70~K5 1/2 ton status

The turn signals and brake lights are the same circuit in the back so check up front or under the dash.

3. riz

riz 3/4 ton status

<font color="blue"> Check your contact points ..... A lot of mine didn't work after it sat for an engine swap ... I took some sandpaper to the contact points and they all work now ! Sometimes it's the easiest things ! Good luck ! </font color>

4. ratpack7

ratpack7 Guest

I had the same problem. Mine was the Signal switch in the steering column. I found out that the wiring for the rear lights is run thru the Signal switch. you should try pulling the steering wheel and see if every thing is in the right place. Mine blew apart when it stuck When i was making a turn and I had to forced the wheel back to straight. after that the rear lights didn't work no brakes, no turn signal, nothing. yours might not have blown apart but if it is old and the contact's have slipped or corroded this might be the problem. I hope this helps.

5. ratpack7

ratpack7 Guest

ooops I forgot somtihng. mine is also a 74. You can only get the part at the dealer ( ACDelco part # 1997985 T/SIG SW ) and it cost me around $40. I hope I helped out even thogh its a B**CH to change if that is the problim. /forums/images/icons/frown.gif

6. Brady

Brady 1/2 ton status

I went through this with my Crewcab.I ended up rewiring from the rear lights to the fuse box.All the old wiring was cracked and corroded.Now my taillights and brakelights work but no turnsignals.Also the hazards work.So now I think it is in the column.