Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Tail Pan Blues :( , Please Help

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Blazer_Boy, Jan 7, 2001.

1. Blazer_Boy

Blazer_Boy 1/2 ton status

I guess you can say I've fallen victim to the Blazer's Achille's heel, the tailgate area. The tailgate is in severe disorder due to rusting and very poor repair work and I will need to correct it. The plates where the hinges bolt to the body are rusted out and the hinges were spot welded on crookedly [​IMG]. I guess that it's going to be the Texas Sawz-All massacre for the rear metal. My question is, does the tailpan include the hinge mounting area? In previous posts it sounded like the tailpan was simply a piece of metal that covered up the rear and the hinges simply passed through it. The picture in an old LMC even looked like that. It costed $50 and was part number 38-7980. I began looking at the most recent LMC and noticed some differences. First off, it looked different. It appears to have places to bolt the hinges too and has and no longer has a side that is all open. They now call it, "Tail Pan-Complete", part number 38-7984 and costs $150. Could this possibly be the miracle piece I'm looking for that contains the hinge mounting areas plus the exterior metal. I don't know if I could do without it, its unbelievably bad back there. I should take some before and after pictures for everyone if this appears to be what I hope it is. Man, I just wrote a novel here just asking if this is a new model with the hinge mounts [​IMG]. Well if any one nows for sure or has a good idea, please let me know. Thanks [​IMG]

K5:Big, slow, and flys through snow. [​IMG]

2. shaggyk5

shaggyk5 1/2 ton status

I hope so, i need the same thing you do. I dont have the funky spot welds, but the crossmember that the gate bolts to is in 3 pieces on mine.

--matt
    shaggyk5: 85 Blazer, 6" lift coming soon!

aint nuthin in the world like a heavy chevy!!

3. CAPTAINK5-CT

CAPTAINK5-CT 1/2 ton status

JC Whitney sells this part I believe for either $125 or $129. That's where I got mine from. I found a shop to install it for $225 If I remember correctly. The hinges do bolt to this as the part has threaded areas for the tailgate hinges to bolt to. Good luck.

4. BillyBob

BillyBob 1/2 ton status

LMC used to have the tail pan for about $60.. but they jacked up the price to about $150! That's kinda steep.. unless it comes with everything needed to mount the tailgate. In any case, I'm getting a peice of angled iron from a buddy of mine. I shouldn't have a problem after putting that in!
    [​IMG]

<A target="_blank" HREF=http://billybob.coloradok5.com>http://billybob.coloradok5.com</A>
    It's all fun 'n games, till someone gets stuck.

5. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

Well I just replaced mine with one I fabricated. Yeah the tail pan should cure your blues but it is an absolute pain in the butt to remove. You have to jack the body about 8 inches off the frame to do the job. this mean all the body bolts have to be removed in the rear and the front 2 under the front floor area loosend. Then there are about 28 spot weld through the floor to the tail pan that have to be drilled out. There are 2 welds at each rib of the floor that has access from below. Those all need to be welded back. there is also a couple welds along the uprights that have to be cut and one in each corner where the upright meets the floor that you will have to pop off with a cold chisel.
    Somebody had ordered one of these tails pans and was not pleased with the quality. It's also pretty pricy. Kyle at KMC and I made one super heavy duty that is 7 inches wide so that the rear legs of the roll cage sit on it. It worked out extremely well.
    I have some undeveloped pictures of the tail pan and will try to get them done and scanned this week.

Diging it in the dirt with my K5's
    Grim-Reaper
    <A target="_blank" HREF=http://grimsk5s.coloradok5.com/>http://grimsk5s.coloradok5.com/</A>

6. shaggyk5

shaggyk5 1/2 ton status

Thanks Grim, Those pic would be an awesome amount of help man. I might just end up doing what you did and fab something myself.

--matt
    shaggyk5: 85 Blazer, 6" lift coming soon!

aint nuthin in the world like a heavy chevy!!

7. Blazer_Boy

Blazer_Boy 1/2 ton status

I gave them a ring and it turns out that it's the complete deal. I shouldn't have too much of a problem with it because my rear bed is shot and will be replaced along with the tailgate posts. I'm thinking about putting on some bed liner on the rear side of the tailpan to prevent rust. I also have to take apart the two halves of the tailgate because some of the lips are bent, put in crooked, etc. I'll probably go heavy with the primer on the insides, rough it up good and throw on some bedliner. Let's see how the rust termintes like chewin' on that for a while.

K5:Big, slow, and flys through snow. [​IMG]