Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

tail shaft for a SM 465 tranny.

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Tice, Dec 30, 2002.

1. Tice

Tice Registered Member

i came a cross a smoking deal on a 465/203 combo last weekend. i got every thing i need to swap it into my k-5, but when i took the tranny off the adapter plate i noticed some wear on the splines on the shaft. it's not real bad but i'd like to replace it before i install it. does onyone know where i can get a new one. if i cant get one by this weekend them i'm just going to stick it in any ways. any help is appretated. /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

2. Depdog

Depdog 1/2 ton status Author

The shaft on the 203 or the 465? What your describing is the main shaft. Might check with ORD, or 4xHeaven. Also Hicks 4x4, just look in the back of a 4x4 mag for quite a few adds for shops that sell these type parts.

Depdog

3. Tice

Tice Registered Member

it's the shaft on the 465 it's self. the one on the t-case is fine. i just dont really want to put it together and have to take it apart later if it breaks.

4. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

that's the end of the main shaft as Glenn already pointed out...not a small job by anyone's definition. If it's bad enough to worry about keep your eyes open for another 10 spline 465 with better splines and use that...it'll be cheaper and easier.

Rene

5. Batmanjr

Batmanjr 1/2 ton status

I Agree with TRusty! I've already completely rebuilt my 465, while I was at it, I changed my output from a 10 spline to a 32 spline, changed the 3rd gear to a 3rd gear Non pop out, and finally replaced all seals and bearings! The hardest part is you need a puller and a press if you're going to do it! You also need the three main shaft bearings that don't come in any of the "Normal" Kits! You normally don't take the mainshaft apart in order to rebuild it, but if you're going to change shafts, you need new bearings! YOu have to crack them to get them off!!!!! Just get a cleaner 465 in my opinion! I rebuilt mine cause I wanted it to be fresh and clean with no common 3rd gear issues! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

6. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

I resemble those 3rd gear issues!!!!!!

7. Depdog

Depdog 1/2 ton status Author

You dont happen to have a list of part numbers for the rebuild kit, main shaft bearings and the rest do you. I have an SM465/NP205 combo in mine and am hunting a cheap pair to do a total rebuild on to swap into mine so I can have a known good set. Mine are suspect from time to time and I have no idea of their condition, I just keep changing the oil in them and running. I have a 2wd Sm465 here already, I would need to get a 4x4 main shaft for it.

Thanks
    Depdog

8. Batmanjr

Batmanjr 1/2 ton status

I got my rebuild kit from Austin Drivetrain The rebuild kit was like $120, and the shaft bearings were about $10 a pieace! It was a veyr complete kit! The most complete I've seen! I also noticed that Novak Enginering sells a kit and so forth, some offer a new revese shaft with it, but that not necessary! If you call ADT, they will get you the parts! AS for a new shaft, I just went transmission shop searching and one shop lead me to another and one guy got me the mainshaft output, 32 spline for $75! The rest was time and presses! One note too all that do the rebuild and take the mainshaft apart...... If you get the three bearings to do the rebuild, lay them stanging up next too each other! The smallest diameter will be 1st gear, the other two will be the same diameter, but they are 1/8th of an inch differance in hieght!!!! If for any reason they send you or you end up with two that are the same height, you need to fix that!!!! If 3rd gears isn't 1/8th" shorter, you'll never be able to get the snap ring onto the shaft at the end!!!!! I had this problem and I took it back to the tranny shop and they cracked the new bearing off, replaced it and put the third on for me! Once the main bearings are pressed on, the only way to get them off is to hit the side with a chisel, and crack the pewter bearing to get it off! /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gifHope this helps! By the way, there are kits on Ebay ALL THE TIME for around $65!!! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

9. Tice

Tice Registered Member

thanks for all the info guys. think i may just look for another 465. i'll still put this one in and if it breaks it breaks. thanks for the help. Tice /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

10. Batmanjr

Batmanjr 1/2 ton status

More than likly it won't break, it will just wear the teeth down until they're gone! You'll have a lot of play from forward to revese as time goes on! I have one in the garage, 10 spline tailshaft that is, all it's use for now is a BFH !!! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

11. jimmyjack

jimmyjack 1/2 ton status

Hey Tice. I know a FF here in town that does trannies. I'll give him a call and see what I can find.