Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Tail shaft housing keeps Cracking

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by hardcore_rob, Dec 18, 2004.

1. hardcore_rob

hardcore_rob 1/2 ton status

Here is what happened:

Was driving home from work, the hardware that holds the rear u-joints came loose and came apart. The drive shaft dropped to the ground. It caused the aluminum housing to break apart, because the drive shaft didnt completely
    pull out away from the transfer case. I have since replaced the u-joints with heavy duty ones and also replaced the aluminum housing, but as soon as i got eveything on and tested it out, it had a horrible wobble and broke the housing again. I am trying to get sell the truck and am trying to figure out what could be causing this and if there is something I can do to make it more sellable. I dont want to have to replace the housing again to just have it break apart because of the wobble. By the way, it never had the wobble until the original problem occured... Any suggestions??

any help would be appreciated..

rob

2. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

Your tailshaft is bent in your transfer case. Time for another transfer case.

3. Jonny-K5

Jonny-K5 1/2 ton status

could also be your driveshaft is bent/ unbalanced. at work we had a 2wd truck that cracked the trans, put in a rebuilt one and it cracked again in 1 day .then we figured out the shaft wasnt straight. never had a problems afterwe had it balanced.

4. hardcore_rob

thanks for the info, i inspected the tailshaft and it looks ok, i am leaning toward the driveshaft being unbalanced, i was talking to another guy this evening and thats what he thinks as well, i imagine that the driveshaft took quite a bump when it hit, would it be cheaper for me to have it re-balanced or buy another one? anyone have a spare that they would let go for a reasonable price, what about the tail shaft housing for a np205, i would rather try to sell the truck fully ready to go, but i could cut a deal i suppose if they wanted to replace the stuff instead....

5. Jonny-K5

Jonny-K5 1/2 ton status

rebalancing a driveshaft usually doesnt cost that much. i think its like 40 bucks around here.

6. hardcore_rob

thanks for the info.

7. Leadfoot

Leadfoot 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Also check the yoke on the rearend. It could have gotten messed up when the driveshaft hit the ground.