Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Tailgate & 4wd hubs

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by ArrowheadK5, Aug 10, 2001.

1. ArrowheadK5

ArrowheadK5 1/2 ton status

I need a replacement tailgate for my 87 k5. The prev owner mounted the spare tire on the outside and chopped a bunch of holes in this one, and It rotted from the inside out. NONE of the salvage yards or parts places in northern MN have one and I'd rather not spend $150 (jcwhitney) on a new one, unpainted and w/o window hardware in it. Thats looking like my only option now, though. Any ideas?

PS, which manual hubs would you reccomend to replace the crappy auto-locking ones on the truck now? Keeping in mind economic concerns and durability?
    Thanky you all, youve been very helpful so far

Four wheel drive, four wheel expenses...

2. BlazerGuy

BlazerGuy 3/4 ton status

For the hubs: Warn Premiums all the way!

~~'84 K5~~
    Check it out at:
    <a target="_blank" href=http://www.k5.rockcrawler.com>www.k5.rockcrawler.com</a>

3. txbartman

txbartman 1/2 ton status

I don't know about tailgates. I have been lucky with mine so far. But for hubs, go Warn Premium manual hubs. They are the best you can buy, IMO. They run about $80 or so and are competitively priced with anything out there.

Brian
    Click to see <a target="_blank" href=http://tx85gmcguy.alloffroad.com> My 85 Jimmy </a>
    PM me for a great deal on blinker fluid! Best price on the net!

4. Kyle89K5

Kyle89K5 1/2 ton status

There was a guy on here a while back that was telling folks he found some military tailgates CHEAP. They are shells, and need to be painted, but the price s good on em. You might try a search or try going to some of the military surplus sites and hunting. You may be able to find good ones for cheap.

This is a good site to start with www.c4.com or something like that.

On the hubs, I've ran Mile-Markers, Superwinch, and now Warns. I'm def. happiest with the warns.

Kyle
    89K5

5. beater74

beater74 1/2 ton status

hey $150 isn't bad, i haven't looked at prices in awhile but last time i checked they were goin fer $300. and the chances of finden one from a junker thats not rotted is slim

6. ChevyCaGal

ChevyCaGal 3/4 ton status

I got Superwinch hubs $60 plus tax... at Pep Boys....

C'mon captain break pedal... quit looking for the parade and drive!! [​IMG]
    <a target="_blank" href=http://www.chevycagal.homestead.com/steph.html>www.chevycagal.homestead.com/steph.html</a>
    &lt;&gt;&lt; MARK 1:17 &gt;&lt;&gt;

7. Chaz316

Chaz316 1/2 ton status

Go to carpartx.com They have really good prices there.

73 K5, 350, auto w/factory air, 4in susp, 35's

And I said "It's not orange it's Crimson Red"

8. DesertDueler

DesertDueler 1/2 ton status

I havent checked my tailgate to see if it is still good or not, but if its still good you can have it. I know the window shattered out of it in the roll over. The tailgate is gray and red. I do know that the electric motor is still good though

86 Blazer 4"lift 35" MTRs locked front, still 1/2 ton axles.Other vehicles 69 Firebird with 525 hp,and a 70 GTO www.geocities.com/modifierperformance<P ID="edit"><FONT class="small">Edited by DesertDueler on 08/10/01 12:46 PM.</FONT></P>

9. ArrowheadK5

ArrowheadK5 1/2 ton status

CRIPE, even if its dented up or whatever, if it'll still fit on and hold glass... That is awesome, man!
    How much would you want for it? How much it is to ship a thing like that?
    Thanks,
    Tom

Four wheel drive, four wheel expenses...

10. thebigdaddyof2

thebigdaddyof2 1/2 ton status

Go with the Warm premiums and don't forget the fusible rings. They may just save you the hassle of changing an axle shaft one day.

thebigdaddyof2

11. CaptCrunch

CaptCrunch 1/2 ton status

Well I will say I personally tried to put Warn Premiums in my truck and they would not fit on the driver's side... there is absolutly no way to fit either ring in to retain it... so I went w/ SS Mile Markersupremes and have been very happy w/ them

-Mikey
    1987 Chevy K5 Blazer- 350 TBI
    <a target="_blank" href=http://www.geocities.com/milnerlives_2000/blazer.htm>http://www.geocities.com/milnerlives_2000/blazer.htm</a>

12. lugnut

lugnut 1/2 ton status

After breaking the drive ring in my mile markers I went with a set of Warnns. They are beter. I held on to the other mile marker as a spare.

78 sub 454. Big as a tank and hard on my bank.

13. bigjbear

bigjbear 1 ton status Staff Member Moderator

...on those rings; unless you have aftermarket shafts they won't do much. The necked down part of the shaft is still the week link. This is according to Warn.

Jim '80 GMC & '73 Blazer
    Tread Lightly!
    <a target="_blank" href=http://www.gmck5.rockcrawler.com>www.gmck5.rockcrawler.com</a>