Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

TAILGATE 73BLAZER

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by James, Jun 23, 2000.

1. James

James 1/2 ton status

Trying to figure out what to do to my tailgate? Its a 73. I'm not sure what year they started with the the crease(lack of better word) at the top of tail just below the window. I'm sure this is for the added strength. As for my 73 the tailgate has about a 2in crack of center to the right a little. Approx above where the spare tire mount would be. Currently I have no spare tire mount and am planning to add one. Should I weld the crack and reinforce the tailgate by maybe welding thicker metal inside of tailgate where the crack is or get a newer tailgate. Problem is I like the older looking one which is smooth at top no crease like the newer(late 70s early 80s). Also can anyone suggest a spare tire mount. I noticed one on a jeep cherokee that mounted to bumber only. Looked really cool and no stress on my old tailgate. Any suggestions?

2. Michael

Michael 1/2 ton status

I know what ya mean man....I've got a '74 with the same ratty, cracked tailgate. I would try to avoid attaching the spare mount to the 'gate...there are several guys here that have bumper mount spares.....check out the pictures section. Most involve replacing the factory bumper with a custom built unit. There was a post awhile back for a spare mount that laid down, instead of swinging. You might try searching for that post. Good luck!

Michael [​IMG] http://jmartin.net/parker/goose.htm

3. Jason73K5

Jason73K5 1/2 ton status

Just remove your tailgate along with the top and doors and enjoy the drive. You'll probably get rid of about 600 pounds of excess weight too!

4. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

I got a cure to all your problems with your gate and spare tire...barn door your blazer. Click the link to my site. It has evolved some more from there with a HiLift mount and it will be getting some fold down tables for camping. It will also have a reverse light and a shovel mount possibly by the end of the weekend.

Diging it in the dirt with my K5's
    Grim-Reaper
    http://grimsk5s.coloradok5.com/