Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Tailgate Aluminum Band Rattling

Discussion in 'Audio' started by daleearnhardt01, Mar 14, 2003.

1. daleearnhardt01

daleearnhardt01 1/2 ton status

Yall know what I could do to stop/minimize vibration/rattle where the aluminum tailgate band is? Arent there nuts on the inside of the gate that hold it on? Maybe some dynomat? Who knows, hopefully someone /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif

2. JeremyK5

JeremyK5 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Less than two days after I got my new system up, several of the nuts that hold on my trim piece loosened up, enough to where I could rattle it by hand! /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif My fix was to take the trim off, put several vertical beads of clear silicone on the mounting surface, then I put the trim piece back on. Only doing vertical beads makes sure that any water that does get back there can drain.

When I put the trim back on I covered the nuts with a flexible glue called "goop". It stays pretty flexible, and isn't too hard to cut away if the trim piece ever needs to come off.

The hard part is getting to the nuts for the trim piece. You have to open the tailgate, roll out the window, and remove the interior cover plate to reach them. It helps to have a friend with small hands.
    Good Luck /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

3. daleearnhardt01

I figured thats what those little nuts in there was for. So I just run verticle strips of silicone down the back of the strip? Thanks

4. Greg72

Greg72 "Might As Well..." Staff Member Super Moderator

[ QUOTE ]
    Yall know what I could do to stop/minimize vibration/rattle where the aluminum tailgate band is? Arent there nuts on the inside of the gate that hold it on? Maybe some dynomat? Who knows, hopefully someone /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Hee Hee Hee.....sounds like someone's got a serious system now! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

The main thing to keep in mind when things are rattling (beyond the obvious fact that it's annoying) is that the energy you are creating for music, is now being wasted to produce panel vibrations instead! The system may already sound GOOD....but really deadening the sheetmetal (and anything else that can rattle) will make a huge difference in the IMPACT of the music and solidify the way it sounds.

It doesn't have to be Dynamat either ($$$)...I'm sure you've already come across our discussion of the Polymeric Mastic (at about 1/5th the price of Dynamat!)...that will work just as well, and you can afford to put on multiple layers on the floors, and interior panels, door skins, etc.

I still need to do THIS step in my own K5....right now I'm in the process of stripping the whole interior down to bare metal for rust repair and paint....then the mastic goes in (and LOTS of it!) /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif Then the stereo can all go back in too...... I miss my music.

5. daleearnhardt01

Is this something that I can pick up at Lowes or Home Depot?
    Do I just ask for Polymeric Mastic or what?

Thanks Greg

6. Greg72

7. daleearnhardt01

I guess Id put the P.M. on the back of the aluminum band right ? Im just wonderin if the P.M. would be too thick.

8. Dale fan

Dale fan 1/2 ton status

I would just do some good clear silicone under the band. I think Greg72 was referring to using the mastic on your sheetmetal, like the floors and doors etc.

9. Greg72

You could treat the area directly....assuming there's room for about 1/8" thick material....

but the point I was trying to make is that the rattle is a result of "other" panels vibrating, and coupling with that trim piece. If you deaden everything else, it won't matter if you fix that aluminum part....there won't be any vibrations to make it rattle in the first place...! /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

PLUS -> If you quiet the truck down with the mastic, the "apparent" loudness of the music will increase.....lowering the "noise floor" that the system needs to overcome, is just like adding more volume on the top end....but even better, because the "detail" of the music can now be heard even more clearly.

10. daleearnhardt01

thanks alot Greg /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif