Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Tailgate and aftermarket rear bumper

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Mastiff, Jun 29, 2003.

1. Mastiff

Mastiff 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Do most people just deal with the weight of the tailgate when they go to an aftermarket rear bumper? With the window and stuff for the power raise/lowering it's pretty damn heavy without the helper spring.

2. dremu

dremu Officious Thread Derailer Premium Member

I left the helper springs on when I pulled the bumper off my '74 ... coulda sworn the springs went against the frame, and not the bumper. IOW, I still have helper springs even with an aftermarket bumper.

3. tecton

tecton 1/2 ton status

been thinking about just getting a soft top, a pickup tailgate, and a rollpan...

that rear bumper looks like the front one and its all weird...no step so it might as well not be there

4. Mastiff

[ QUOTE ]
    I left the helper springs on when I pulled the bumper off my '74 ... coulda sworn the springs went against the frame, and not the bumper. IOW, I still have helper springs even with an aftermarket bumper.

[/ QUOTE ]

Anyone have a picture of how those tork rods interface from the tailgate to the truck? I don't have mine anymore, but I'll buy some if I can make them work. The picture in LMC doesn't make it very clear where they attach on the truck side.

5. Mastiff

I went to the junk yard today and got the torque rods (helper springs) that I needed, plus got a look at the install. Looks like when my new rear bumper was installed, they bobbed the frame a little and got rid of the part where the torque rods attach. It looks like it might still work with them attached a little further in - I can't tell yet. Has anyone done it?