Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Tailgate and Window problem

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Jagged, May 3, 2005.

1. Jagged

Jagged 1 ton status

I acquired an 87 K5 about 7 months ago and have been putting off fixing a problem with the rear window/tailgate. The back window won't retract into the tailgate (it's electrically actuated). I removed the cover off the tailgate to gain access to the linkage, and the motor turns with the cable disconnected, but I can't get any of the gears to budge. Is there a way to tackle this problem without taking the top off? The rear window has some cracks in it that are beginning to spiderweb, so I'm a little weary of trying to use any force on the window itself.

I'm on a real budget with this truck (low-ranking enlisted in the USAF), so I'm trying to avoid having to do things like taking the top off (I'd have to replace all the seals with how old they are).

2. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

You can't use a pair of pliers on the cable end when disconnected from the motor? I suspect not, but always go with most obvious first.

If it won't retract, (cable won't turn) and the motor works, then it's probably the scissor mechanism of the window itself. I'd spray it down with something like WD-40 or good lubricant that flows easily, and try to get it started moving. Then just work it a bit at a time until it moves all the way. Once it starts to move, a drill can be used to raise/lower the window faster.

Just make sure nothing is broken or flopping around inside that is limiting it's travel.

3. Jagged

Jagged 1 ton status

Yeah, I've been fiddling with it some this afternoon. Hosed it down well with some WD-40, the cable almost looks like it might have some rust inside of it; I dislocated the gear that the cable connects to above that scissor mechanism to attempt to move it manually, but its not budging yet. I'll probably try it again after the WD-40 has had time to set into the mechanics of it. All I really need is the window to come out of the top, then the I can remove the whole tailgate and get a better look at what's going on inside it.