Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Tailgate and windshield

Discussion in '1969-1972 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by mikeperez22, Aug 2, 2004.

1. mikeperez22

mikeperez22 Registered Member

Can anyone tell me how to pull off the tailgate? I tried everything I could think of. Also, can anyone tell me how to take the windshield out? I need to remove it along with the tailgate before it goes to the bodyshop next week. Thanks.

2. 70jimmy

70jimmy 3/4 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Released from Pueblo, told I belong in Southpark
    Tailgate you have to take the hinged support arms off of the bed sides. I just put the hinge so it is going up instead of down. Like an elbow sticking up in the air not down like when you close the gate. You close the gate partially so the shape allows you to pull the arm toward the inside of the bed. Do this to both sides and the tailgate will go down more than parallel to the ground then lift up on one side. I believe the right side comes out first then just lift the gate off.

On the windshield I have never taken one out but I know that you have to replace the windshield gasket so most people take a utility knife and cut the front flap of the gasket off so the windshield can come out.

Hope I explained the tailgate removal OK. /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

3. BobK

BobK 1/2 ton status

Petrolia,Ontario,Canada but working in Port Huron,
    That's exactly how I removed my windshield.
    Sharp utility knife and cut around the gasket.Then gently remove by pushing from the inside of the truck.

4. JohnSPledg

JohnSPledg 1/2 ton status

I used a dead blow hammer. It had been a long day, but I definately felt better afterward.