Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

tailgate cranks

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by BlaKK54Speed, Feb 23, 2007.

1. BlaKK54Speed

BlaKK54Speed 1/2 ton status

i was wondering if they make a conversion kit for the tailgate so you can change the power window to a crank?

mine works great, just wondering if when it dies i will have to tear it apart and find a new motor.

a manual crank would be so much more practical i think. dont get me wrong the power window is awesome

its an 85 incase anyone is wondering

any info is greatly appreciated.

2. 1982blazer

1982blazer 1/2 ton status

I have always wondered the same thing, i just thought about finding a manual tailgate in the junk yard i thought that might be easier, but there never seems to be any k5's in the junk yards around here.

3. Tabb

Tabb ROLL TIDE! AGAIN! GMOTM Winner

Those old crank handles for the tailgates were made out of crappy pot-metal and the two ears that go into the gear break off. you would be better off staying with the motor. you can still get those. I just ordered one last week. It's probably going to be lots of fun replacing it too. lol.

4. ZooMad75

ZooMad75 1/2 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

If you want to convert you can't just put a crank handle on it. You have to change out the entire window regulator to the manual version. Best bet is to find one at the boneyard and get everything.

As far as the cranks breaking, yes it's potmetal. But if you have the regulator well lubricated with new rollers and clean tracks the window will go up and down with one finger. I rebuilt my manual setup 2 years ago and it will still roll up and down easy. The cranks break because the regulator is bound up or the rollers/tracks are rusty and can't move without excessive force. Put all that force through the crank handle and you bet the pot metal will break. Same problem is what wipes out most power setups by stripping the gear or snapping the cable from the motor.

Point is if you have your regulator moving easy the stress is much less on what ever is making it go up or down, Motor or manual crank.

5. Chrisblazzer89

Chrisblazzer89 1/2 ton status

Where did u get your new moter? I would like to know. I was thinking of getting a new one. Plz & thank you.

6. BlaKK54Speed

cant you get them through lmc (motor)

in that case i just may keep the setup if it goes bad. i lubed it all up just about a month ago and its working fine right now........

7. Tabb

I ordered mine from a local independent parts store. You will probably have to pay a core charge of about $25.00 which I had never heard of for a window motor, They really want these things back.

8. 4X4HIGH

4X4HIGH 1 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

9. Metrodps

Metrodps Strange but nice guy Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

Here is some thing that might help you!
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

I have all kinds of neat things in the moldy oldie vault

10. Tabb

Hey thanks Metrodps, those exploded diagrams are always helpful. I gonna print all this stuff out.

11. BlaKK54Speed

good info there.!