Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Tailgate Differences 73-91

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 2High4U, Oct 24, 2005.

1. 2High4U

2High4U 1/2 ton status

Anyone know what all changed on these years besides the power window option. If anyone has one i would be willing to buy must have no rust or holes perfer manual window with glass

2. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Wiring connectors changed in the mid 80's sometime, also the trim probably changed with the '80-81 year split, but that's cosmetic. Other than those, I'm not sure there are any differences. MAYBE metric vs. standard fasteners in some places?

3. koldsimer

koldsimer 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

I just put a '81 tailgate on my '77. Everything was the same for me. Except that the new gate had glass in it and it was crack free in the upper corners! :D

4. 2High4U

2High4U 1/2 ton status

the wiring doesnt matter to me i want to keep the manual window in my 73 because i dont want to mess with my wiring all that much its all wrapped in the factory tape just like it was when it was at the factory pretty much. my corners are cracked as well its like the skin is starting to come off the tire carrier was taken off and it left some nasty hole i dont care to deal with not to mention the hole where the window comes up through is bowed. i could rebuild this tailgate but im looking for something that im not going to have to fill holes and stuff just keep it for a spare. i know that 73-91 will fit but was just wondering what the little changes over the years were made such as the moldings that you described. thanks for the input it was really a minor subject I was just curious more than anything due to the fact that im looking for one that doesnt have any holes from the modling.

5. its all about the pro net lol