Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Tailgate doesnt want to close, what gives???

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by GM Man, May 8, 2003.

1. GM Man

GM Man 1/2 ton status

Today I had my tailgate opened and when I went to shut it, the left side didnt want to latch close. The only way I could get it to close was if I slammed the left side of the gate in. What would cause this??

Thanks

2. Don

Don 1/2 ton status

The latch itself, [slider] may have been stuck in the latched position? Oil em up.Or a spring may have taken a dump, letting the latch stick. /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

3. GM Man

GM Man 1/2 ton status

The latch was the first thing I checked, thinking it was already closed. It wasnt, but I'll try oiling them up.

4. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

Your bed walls might be changing position a little, or the tailgate itself might be hanging lower on the hinge (rust /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif), changing the dynamics of how it'll close.

I went through this with my old K5. By the time I sold it, opening the tailgate was an event you needed to plan in advance...

5. TNS10HYBRID

TNS10HYBRID Registered Member

The spring that is under the gate that keeps it from dropping too hard is broken on mine and it hangs up when I raise the gate. /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif