Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

tailgate felt/weatherstripping replacement??

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by 90blzr, Jun 29, 2001.

1. 90blzr

90blzr 1/2 ton status

Have any of you replace the window felt inside the tailgate? I am going to replace my motor and cable back there and when I reached my hand down in bottom of the tailgate, I got a handful of old, crusty felt that had fallen off. I ran my hand along the side of it and it just comes right off. My window strains in certain spots, when the motor was working, and the reason is probably because of the rotting felt gettin it all jammed up. So if anyone has done this, how did you do it, was it a PITA, and where did you get it from. Thanks!

2. 1986Blazer

1986Blazer 1/2 ton status

It kinda sounds like your window channels are shot. LMC has the parts, but they are not very cheap. The dealer also has them but they are also expensive there. From what I have seen they only sell the complete window channel, not just the felt. I ordered mine from LMC and put them in last week. They were a PITA, kinda, but mine were also shot so I needed to do it. It really is not that hard, it's just there are some confined spaces and it can get frustrating at times. Just take your time.....while you are doing that, you might want to replace some of the other parts that also go bad in the tailgate, like the outside tailgate key switch, cutout switch and make sure you clean and relube all sliding parts inside the gate. That is my input for this late evening.

<A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.geocities.com/keywestk5/KeyWestK5.html>http://www.geocities.com/keywestk5/KeyWestK5.html</A>

3. 90blzr

90blzr 1/2 ton status

Yeah I figured it would be the whole channel, how does it attach on the inside of the tailgate? Seems like it would be a PITA cause you cant get around in there to easy. thanks for the input.

4. Derf00

Derf00 1/2 ton status

I replaced the bottom sash, the rollers, and the side channels, got all the parts from the dealer for about $75.00. It is one of those jobs the once you are done, you are very glad you didn't pay someone to do it. The side channels are held in by a bolt at the bottom of the tailgate. Once you have the parts out, clean up the inside of the tailgate, make sure the drain holes are open, grease the gears, and put it back together. After it was all finished, my once slow window ran great.

Derf00

"Four wheel drive allows you to get stuck in a more inaccessible place."

5. 90blzr

90blzr 1/2 ton status

How long ago did you do this?? For $75?! I just looked in lmc and if I read correctly it was like $80 just for the 2 side channels. Maybe I'll check the dealership!
    Oh yeah and thanks for the advice!
    <P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1>Edited by 90blzr on 06/30/01 00:06 AM (server time).</FONT></P>

6. Derf00

Derf00 1/2 ton status

I did this last fall. I do get a little discount from the dealer, but I don't think it is that much. The #1 reason I would recommend using the dealer is that I had a problem with several parts. I wanted the piece of rubber that holds the glass in the sash, but ended up with a 100' roll, which I sent back. Also the rollers were not correct, they were to large. Getting all the correct parts was the biggest PIA, but the end result was worth it. I would hated to have to buy and exchange parts by phone, UPS, etc.

Derf00

"Four wheel drive allows you to get stuck in a more inaccessible place."<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1>Edited by Derf00 on 06/30/01 07:34 AM (server time).</FONT></P>

7. shawnboy

shawnboy 1/2 ton status

I too went to the dealer. The costs were reasonable and there was no screwing around with the wrong parts. As the other fella says, go through the whole thing because you don't want to have to rip it all apart again. Takes time and patience but it is worth it.
    Shawnboy.

8. 90blzr

90blzr 1/2 ton status

Ok, the dealer it is. Except for the motor and cable, $180 for the motor and $60 for the cable. Can get both new for about $80. I hate doing things twice! What kind of grease did you guys use to lube the regulator, transmission drive gear, etc. Something like white lithieum grease? I just took the back panel off to take out the cable and motor and checked out the felt channels again. The felt is GONE. Now I now why when my window was down the thing would rattle all over the place! So you guys recommend just getting new everything, rollers, sash, felt channels etc. Do youguys know what the "rear glass fillet" does? And the "glass cam channel" should I replace that too?? It's in the lmc catalog, if you dont know what I'm talking about. Guess I'll have to wait till I get the new motor and cable in to get the window down, cause the window will have to come out. Thanks. Oh yeah and what about that motor cut out swithch, where is that thing at??
    <P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1>Edited by 90blzr on 06/30/01 10:42 AM (server time).</FONT></P>

9. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

Just so you know, don't waste your time trying to get tech support from LMC. They just sell you parts, they won't tell you if they're the right ones or not.

Tim
    '84 Chevy K10, lifted, loud, fast, and 3/4 ton axles

10. 1986Blazer

1986Blazer 1/2 ton status

When you lower your tailgate, there are two bolts that keep the channel in place and they are the only attachments. The PITA comes because you have to remove the glass, regulator and just about everything else. The about of digging around with screw and bolts inside the gate is minimal, you just have to gut it, and then replace it. That is kinda why I suggested changing everything else at the same time you do this since the entire tailgate will be out. If it can be replaced, do it then! The price of the channels from LMC is $40.00. Let me know if you have any questions. Oh yea...if you have never removed the glass before, a cushioned bar stool works great to support the weight of the glass as you remove it from the window sash. Good luck...take pics so everyone else can see how it is done. I just dumb forgot to take pics.

<A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.geocities.com/keywestk5/KeyWestK5.html>http://www.geocities.com/keywestk5/KeyWestK5.html</A>

11. ChevyCaGal

ChevyCaGal 3/4 ton status

If you need stuff contact SarazK5. She'll hook you up and get it for less then LMC can get it. She can get most things you need in fact... give here a try. Private message her or email her SSChevyTrucks@aol.com. [​IMG] I'll vouche for her... very good person to deal with and honest!

I removed my quote so gay, vegetarian, minority, eco-nazis who love Jesus, nuke spotted owls, vote Gore and smoke medical marijuana won't be offend.

12. 90blzr

90blzr 1/2 ton status

Thanks Steph, this weekend when I was messing with it, I remembered her saying she can get stuff, so I'll give her a try. I went to the dealer Saturday, and he couldnt even find the window channels, he said the werent available, I thinkd he was just tired of looking for them. His little picture didnt show them, so that meant the didnt make them, so I just said whatever. All the other parts were more than LMC anyways.
    1986Blazer- I'm not sure how to post pics yet. I can borrow a dig. camera, but wont be able to show them. Kinda slow at the computer thing. And what do you mean about a "cushioned bar too"? What kind of grease did you use to lube it all up afterwards? Thanks again everyone.

13. Redfrog

Redfrog 1/2 ton status

you can get the window tracks at www.cheyennepickup.com for $28.95 a piece

HEY Fords!!! how many flushes does it
    take to get rid of you