Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Tailgate fitment Question??????????

Discussion in 'The Body Shop' started by k5mudfreak, Oct 25, 2004.

1. k5mudfreak

k5mudfreak Registered Member

I am having some trouble with my tailgate (aftermarket) fitting anywhere near close. Has anyone gone through this before? And can you give me any suggestions? I made a couple of spacer blocks to space the latches out to the tailgate hooks. But the replacement rubber still doesn't seem to be enough to fill the gaps.

Help!

Thanks for any info......

~B

2. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

Your box sides are prolly spread. Measure the opening at the top of the box sides and at floor level. Ideally it should be the same measurement. Often the tailpan gets rusty and weak allowing the tops of the box sides to lean out...then the latches don't work and the rubber won't seal.

I just replaced my tailpan...what a PITA. My box sides were spread 1 1/2" at the top and I had to use a come-a-long on them to close the tailgate. /forums/images/graemlins/yikes.gif

Rene

3. k5mudfreak

k5mudfreak Registered Member

I'm really sorry about not informing eveyone about the length of a rebuild that has actually took place here before I asked this question. I have replaced the entire rear section of the blazer ( rear floor, bed sides rear passenger foot floor, as well as the rockers and the main floorboards and front fenders.) THere is about an inch and a half of a gap on each side of the tailgate which I fabbed some aluminum spacers to space out the latches so that they will fit with the aftermarket tailgate. Even after the rubber seal is installed there is a gap.

Also, I need to get the sheet metal undercoated. ANy Ideas??

4. ryoken

ryoken Puppy Fabricator Premium Member GMOTM Winner

5. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

Well, it sounds like someone forgot to measure the tailgate opening top and bottom when putting all that stuff together.

After redoing my tailpan my boxsides measure within 1/16" top and bottom and leave about 3/32" gap between the boxside and the tailgate on both sides.

Previous to the tailpan being fixed I needed a high-lift and a come-a-long to close my tailgate. The tailpan was mostly just bent from a wreck and wheeling without a tailgate than anything else.

Good luck, it sounds like you're gonna have to look at that area again to get it fixed right.

Rene

6. xflatrater

xflatrater Registered Member

My aftermarket tailgate also has a very poor fit. Its not the bed its the gate!