Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Tailgate from an 85 to an 84

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 350k5, Sep 13, 2005.

1. 350k5

350k5 1/2 ton status

Hi, I've got 1984 Custom Deluxe Blazer and I wanted to replace the old rusted out tailgate (manual rear window) with a nicer one with the power window.

The one that I've found is from a 1985 and I am wondering if those two would be interchangeable. I assume it woudln't be too hard to wire up, so thats really not much of a concern. I just want to make sure it will bolt up and close right. Thanks in advacne for you help. :thumb:

2. dremu

dremu Officious Thread Derailer Premium Member

The wiring is weird... there are four wires, IIRC; one pair really big, that should go to the battery (fused, of course), and two smaller ones. One of these, if hot, makes the window go up, and the other makes it go down.

Or you could swap shells and keep your manual guts.

Oh, but umm, yeah, they're identical.

-- A

3. 350k5

350k5 1/2 ton status

I guess that leads me to another question... Would it be possible to put the insides from the power tailgate into the manual? That way the paint would still match at least.

4. dremu

Yes, within those years, at least. I *think* power tailgates didn't start until the late 70's, but I put an '85ish shell onto my '74 no problem.

Anyway, point being that your two tailgate shells will both have the mounting bolts for power and manual stuff, so you can switcheroo to your heart's content.

But don't pry the glass with a screwdriver. :doah:

-- A

5. wubba_65

wubba_65 Registered Member

Yeah, screwdrivers prying tempered glass isn't a good course of action. Luckily I have a spare tinted window that I was going to switch in when I installed the new bracket. :doah:

6. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

If you go manual, should be able to sell the power tailgate pieces for something to recoup some of the cost of the gate. Just an idea.

7. dremu

Well, it can be a great course, if you wanted shattered safety glass :haha:

Don't ask me why I know this. :doah:

-- A

8. 350k5

350k5 1/2 ton status

In that case what would be the way to get the old window out if I decide to just swap shells.

Edit: I just called today and they said they don't have one for an 85 any more but they do have a tailgate from a 91... would those two be interchangable/would the internals still change out?

9. dremu

Same from 73-91. Fullsize, of course ... not the S-Blazers :shame:

-- A

10. wubba_65

wubba_65 Registered Member

Depending on the condition of the 91 (is the glass good, etc) you may just want to bolt it on. The only reason why I wanted to get the glass out of my gate is because it was clear, and I had a tinted piece that I wanted to put in. Also, the rail that holds it in place and bolts to the raise/lower mechanism was rusted all to hell, and I have a decent one from another tailgate. So I was going to use my tinted glass with the good rail in the tailgate that used to have the clear glass with the rusted rail (bracket, whatever they call it.).

If the 91 has good glass, good internals, and is rust free, I would just bolt it onto your truck and run the neccessary wires. Or if you want to stick with manual, then you can switch out the guts.

To get the glass out, unbolt the rail from the arms that connect it to the raise/lowering gears (four bolts). There should be two plastic caps on the top of the gate that unscrew (two phillips each side). Take these off, and you should be able to pull out the rubber/felt trim that cushions the glass and prevents water from getting in. you may have to put pressure on the gears to move them away from the glass, but the glass should move up and through the top of the tailgate (it's best if the glass is raised part way when you start (easier to unbolt and get leverage), but if you don't have a power source for the power gate, I'm not sure how you would raise or lower it).

Hope this helps. IMO it's nice to have the power gate, but power options mean that there is more to go wrong, and more stuff to fix when it breaks.