Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Tailgate glass ideas?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by trailblazer86, Jun 6, 2004.

1. trailblazer86

trailblazer86 1/2 ton status

I have been looking a different ways to make the tailgate glass in my K-Blazer easier and more dependable.
    A lot of the aftermarket glass is now safety glass. This is not good. If you so much as touch the edge with something hard your chances of buying another improve greatly.
    I have thought of using a fairly thick piece of plexi glass and finding a way to keep it up in the track allowing the tailgate to open independently. The glass could then be released and removed.
    Then I started looking at my S-10 Blazer wondering if I could create a lift gate for the K-5. When the outer part of the run channel was removed I found the cap to be hollow in this area.
    Now the run channel needs filling but this idea would still work and be very convenient. (Could anyone teach me how to work with fibre-glass?)
    If anyone has redesigned their tailgate operation let me know. I am willing to look at all ideas now.

2. cybrfire

cybrfire 1 ton status Vendor GMOTM Winner

maybe somebody can help you out with some pics. I didn't save them but here is a link to a guy who replaced his whole window with a camper lift up glass.

Camper glass clicky

As far as how to work with glass It's not hard to do just messy and fumey. Like anything else its all about the prep work. I'd check out a book at the local library.

3. leadfoot067

leadfoot067 1/2 ton status

last year i made a 1/4" plexi lift gate thing....it had hinges at the top...some door seal around the edges to seal it to the top,and latches at the bottom to keep it closed...worked fine on the road,it lasted most of a weekend wheeling,finally broke the plexi pulling into a gas station,the body flexed and broke the plex...and it wasnt latched....plex is not strong enough,unless you can metal frame it similar to a s-10 back hatch...then it would prolly work...

4. spearchucker

spearchucker 1/2 ton status

You could make it out of Speedglass if your budget allows it. More durable and scratch resistant than plexiglass.

5. bigjbear

bigjbear 1 ton status Staff Member Moderator

PM Grim-Reaper