Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Tailgate handle

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by nyyef, Jul 12, 2000.

1. nyyef

nyyef 1/2 ton status

just recieved my new tailgate handle from american classic truck parts, with a new lock cylinder.
    i can slide it in but when i turn the key it pops back out.
    what holds the cylinder in the handle?
    does anyone have a copy of the assembly of the lock?

Knife.

2. Eric78K5

Eric78K5 1/2 ton status

1st, is it manual or power? The power one has a retaining ring that goes on the inside of bezel. The manual one has a piece of metal that has a hole in it for a spring. This locks in the cylinder and prevents it from coming out.

3. nyyef

nyyef 1/2 ton status

it is manual (i didnt know that the power ones had handles).
    is the spring part of the cylinder or an extra part?
    my old ones handle was broken (thats why i bought the handle) and it didnt have the lock (thats how it was when i bought the truck.
    i am looking at the cylinder right now, there looks like it has a metal piece that springs out to lock it in, is that true? how do i trigger it?

Knife.

4. Mint90

Mint90 Registered Member

Can't find anything in my '90 shop manual to help you out, sorry.

Mint '90 K5, All Stock, All Options, 49K

5. Eric78K5

Eric78K5 1/2 ton status

I know this isn't much help since I don't have pics of it. Maybe you can take your old one apart, and you'll see the pieces I'm talking about. There is a "gear" for lack of a better word, that is held on to the back of your handle by a small "c" clip. If you remove this clip, the gear will come off, and then you'll see a small metal block shaped thing. This piece of metal has the hole in it that the spring goes into. If you don't have these pieces, then you need to order them, cause the lock ain't gonna work without them. Sorry if this doesn't help much.