Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Tailgate hinge HELP!!!!!!!!!!!! PLEASE!!!!!!!!UPDATED!

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Itali83, Sep 9, 2001.

1. Itali83

Itali83 1/2 ton status

Ok, I've been with no truck for 3 and a half weeks. I'f totally replaced my rear floor with no problems at all with fitting. I go to put my tailgate back on and I'm a whole set of bolts off. It is a long story why they got messed up but I think I'm doing something wrong and stupid. SO, if you can PLEASE take DETAILED pictures of your tailgate hinges I would LOVE that. pics of the gate closed and fron the outside, gate open and looking down on the hinges, even if you can under the truck. I'm just really P#ssed right now, I'm so close to having my truck done it isn't even funny, Thanks in advance.
    Ben 87 Jimmy

I've figured out what the problem is, we cut off one set of holes when we mounted the hinges to the bumper then drilled 2 holes per hinges to bolt it to the bumper. So now I need some hinges. I may have a pair coming to me, I'm just waiting for a PM back, but if any of you have a set of tailgate hinges that are not worn out, I'd like to buy them. Thanks again rene for your help.

<P ID="edit"><FONT class="small">Edited by Itali83 on 09/09/01 07:17 PM.</FONT></P>

2. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

Re: Tailgate hinge HELP!!!!!!!!!!!! PLEASE!!!!!!!!

Ben, the hinge plates need to go through the two slots in the rear of the tail pan. Then line up the 4 holes with the 4 bolt holes in the hinge. That will get you close, beyond that you can adjust a little side to side and front to back.

Rene

<font color=green>Dyslexics of the world...UNTIE!</font color=green>

3. Itali83

Itali83 1/2 ton status

You don't understand, I'm a whole set of bolt holes off. I can't even come close to closing my tail gate with the bolts in their proper holes. Is there any way that the hinges coule be fliped inside the tailgate?? Because if you check out my website, you'll see that I fliped the hinges and bolted them to my bumper because of rote problems, that I've just taken care of, But now I can't remember if I acually flipped the hinges, of just bent them the other way, either way, something is wrong, I've compared the new tail pan to old one, it is the same, so I've done something wrong with the hinges. Please someone take some pictures of their hinges like I asked before. Thanks!!!!!!!!
    Ben 87 Jimmy
    <font color=blue>Rust=Bad</font color=blue>
    <a target="_blank" href=http://www.bens87toy.alloffroad.com>www.bens87toy.alloffroad.com</a>

4. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

From what i can see on yer site it looks like you removed the hinges from the gate and turned them around. The part thats bolted to the bumper in the pic should be insdie the gate...I think.

Rene

<font color=green>Dyslexics of the world...UNTIE!</font color=green>

5. Itali83

Itali83 1/2 ton status

I tried that, but it dosen't work, becuase the tailgate part of the hinge has a step in it, making it fit only one way. I just can't see how I'm am this far off. I floor is brand new, but GM, everything is back where the factory one was. It is the same as the old one, I just think I frigged something up with the hinges when we did the swap, thats why I need some pics of the hinges from tons of angles. Thanks for trying to help rene, I apreciate it!!!!!!
    Ben 87 Jimmy
    <font color=blue>Rust=Bad</font color=blue>
    <a target="_blank" href=http://www.bens87toy.alloffroad.com>www.bens87toy.alloffroad.com</a>

6. 55Willy

55Willy 3/4 ton status

I have the hinges ready for you Ben but I have a question on some of the other pieces you were inquiring about. check your PM I just sent, Thanx

<font color=red>It's not what you drive, but what drives you</font color=red>( Or is it what you work on,lol)
    <font color=orange> 1955 willy's on a 1977 blazer chassis </font color=orange>