Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

tailgate hinge pins

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by bart, Aug 30, 2000.

1. bart

bart Registered Member

today I opened my tailgate and to my surprise it not only opened downward but came out toward me as well...seems the left hinge pin sheared..
    I figure I'm going to have to drill it out, I tried pounding it out with a punch and hammer..no go...but where can I find a replacement hinge pin? Do I need to buy new hinges? I don't want to just stick a 20D common nail in it and leave it that way. Any ideas?

Bob

2. fr8train

fr8train 1/2 ton status

I dont know about the shear strenghth of that nail or how long it would take to get into the same situation(rusting and shearing) again. I think you should go to a metal shop or ask a hardware store where you can get a stainless steel dowel or knock off from machining, to fit the bill.

3. BlazerBoy

BlazerBoy 1/2 ton status

This might be a long shot but, Pep boys sells replacement door hinge pins in there help section. They have them in all differant diameters and lengths, maybe you could find one that will work. Good luck

BlazerBoy
    http://generalblueballs.coloradok5.com