Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Tailgate hinge

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by atodd, May 25, 2004.

1. atodd

atodd Registered Member

I hope I'm not dual posting, but I couldnt find anything about this when I searched.

I was just wondering if anyone can give me some good informations about the tailgate hinges. Should they be free moving? I took my tailgate and hinges off last year to install a new floor and now I am putting everything back on. The hinges are very stiff. I can't move them at all and I would think they would be free moving like a normal door hinge. I'm afraid that I may have to buy some new ones. If anyone can five me some info on the hinges or some tips on maybe freeing them up I would appreciate it.

Thanks,

Aaron

2. spearchucker

spearchucker 1/2 ton status

When I took mine off they were flopping around, couldn't keep them still for the life of me, so yes they should be loose. When you took the hinges off were they stored in a wet place where they could get rusty? I'd squirt them with some PB Blaster everyday for a few days and see if that helps break them free.

3. ugly_blazer

ugly_blazer 1/2 ton status

Maybe soak them in antifreeze or oil? /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

4. sickquad

sickquad 1/2 ton status

My tailgate hinges were tough when I went to remount my tailgate after three months. They still are but I kind of like that it doesn't slam down. Almost as if it is a built in dampner. I tell everyone I installed it like that on purpose.

-Chris

5. atodd

atodd Registered Member

Thanks you guys for all your posts.

My hinges were very stiff when I took them off. The tailgate itself was all rusted out along the bottom. When I went to put it down I had to get on top of it and jump up and down in order for it to go. Long story short...I ended up bending the tailgate in half and eventually just got my grinder out and cut around where the hinges connected.

The have been stored in my garage since I took them of and I dont think too much moisture has gotten to them. I just think they are very old. A buddy of mine said they were supposed to be stiff, but I think they are way too stiff. I'll probably just get some new ones.

Thanks again,

Aaron