Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

tailgate interchangability

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by BIGRIG, Jun 7, 2000.

1. BIGRIG

BIGRIG 1/2 ton status

I'm getting ready to buy a '74 body and put it on an '84 frame...my truck now.. will my '84 tailgate fit the '74 body? I don't see why it wouldn't but want to make sure so I can find one of those too and do it all at once.
    Thanks guys.
    bigrig

MY DRINKING TEAM HAS A FOUR WHEELING PROBLEM!

2. Zack

Zack 1/2 ton status

WOW that is a good project. Fully removable top with the technology of the 84. I wanted to do that too but its hard finding one not so rusty. Anyways to answer your question. I BELIEVE they are all teh same. Some of the older styles might not have the torsion spring setup but that's about all I can think of right now.

<font color=red>Zack Carlson</font color=red>
    <font color=yellow>Carlson@thestix.net</font color=yellow>

3. CrazeeBush

CrazeeBush 1/2 ton status

LMC Truck catalog says that the tailgate shells are the same from '73-'91

4. Eric78K5

Eric78K5 1/2 ton status

I agree. I just ordered a new gate from JC Whitney, and they are all the same.

5. BIGRIG

BIGRIG 1/2 ton status

cool...thanks guys..didnt even think to look in the mag. Luckily I found this '74 with no rust and cheap $350 with a motor! my tailgate my dash and a '91 front clip and hoopefully it'll be just right!

MY DRINKING TEAM HAS A FOUR WHEELING PROBLEM!

6. 79Jimmy

79Jimmy 1/2 ton status

Just a reminder that the frame was changed slightly in 77/78 to accommodate the extended floor pan right behind the front seats.....I'm sure in can be done with some modification, but I just didn't want you to jump in to this job thinking it is a pure "bolt on" swap. If you have any questions I may be able to help, I swapped a 90 body onto my 79 frame after the cancer had it's way with the body.

79jimmy@sprint.ca