Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

tailgate key

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by '89 bucket, May 2, 2005.

1. '89 bucket

'89 bucket Registered Member

i have an 89 k5 with tailgate problems
    when i bought the truck it had a working tailgate window from both the cab adn from the tailgate with key
    shortly after that i had to replace the cable on motor to the tailgate
    and noticed that i was unable to open the tailgate from the outside
    i've tried everything i can to get the key mechanism out of the tailgate...
    is there a trick to this???
    i see on a schematic that there should be a couple of nuts on the back side of the key mechanism, but am unable to get to it because of the glass and track to the tailgate...
    any ideas

2. 90blzr

90blzr 1/2 ton status

I guess you could remove the glass...or if you want to roll the window up while the tailgate is down, just manually close the side latches so the tailgate 'thinks' its shut. The window will come out and you should be able to do anything you need.

3. '89 bucket

'89 bucket Registered Member

i tried that, but the window mechanism is right in the middle of the door pannel
    even with the window fully extended i can't even see what's behind the gears of the window
    i can't even get my hand back there to feel anything
    i really hate to pull the whole door appart for this, but i think i may have to
    i thought there might be something i was missing

4. milspec

milspec Registered Member

lock removal

To remove the exterior handle and get to the lock and handle assembly you will have to open the panel on the inside of the back gate. I don't know if you can take the 4 bolts loose that hold the bottom of the glass to the tracks with the glass all the way down or not. The easiest is to raise the glass half way to get to the bolts. Remove the four bolts (2 to each side) and slide the glass to the top and support it with something that it can rest on. You have to remove the rubber seals from the top of the gate to remove the glass all the way. With the glass supported take the three bolts out that hold the regulator in and loosen the top right bolt (slotted). The regulator will come out through the right hand hole easiest. You can then look down and see the two nuts that hold the handle assembly in. It is really a simple operation though it seems a pain. I can remove and replace the handle assy and all the parts in a half hour after all the ones I have been doing.

Take the time and do the job right, you'll be happier with the results.

Milspec