Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Tailgate latch Differences

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by 73k5blazer, Nov 29, 2002.

1. 73k5blazer

73k5blazer Unplug the matrix cable from the back of your head Premium Member

Did a search and came up with nothing. So I'll ask..
    Does anyone know what the real differences are in the tailgate latches for '73-77 and '78-91. The "control" assembly is different too. (That's the thing the latch rods attach to in the center, that the inner handle pulls). The rods are also different.
    I'm ordering most all new parts for my end gate and was wondering why there is a difference and do I need the '73 parts...or will the newer ones fit. I know the gate itself is the same basic design, but does have a few different part numbers over the years...
    Just curious...probably will end up ordering all new '91 style parts and hope they will fit..

BlazerMan

2. chevyfumes

chevyfumes Court jester

I'd think if you were to order newer parts , you'd run into a problem due to the fact that they go from manual to power....Just a thought...

3. Muddytazz

Muddytazz 1 ton status

the parts might be a little bit different shape (size wise) meaning that the rods might be a little longer or little shorter. if the price is the same, i'd just stick to the same yr as you need.

4. 73k5blazer

73k5blazer Unplug the matrix cable from the back of your head Premium Member

I'm looking at my '73-78 parts book, and a '89-'91 parts books. (GM Books).
    The Manual window was still offered in '91, albeit a rare find in that year. They started offering the power window in '78 I believe. I suppose they could have changed the rods and latches to clear both the manual and power window regulators not to mention the power window motor...I know that the power window accounts for at least one of the end gate part number changes, they added a few weldnuts for motor mounting I think. Anyone know for sure?

Just an interesting tidbit I ran across in the '73 parts books, some sort of electric option was offered on a '73-74 1/2 ton pickup only tailgate. No, I'm not reading the book wrong..."Lock, asm, end gate elect CK 1 only", the CK 1 means 1/2 ton PU only. all other chassis' had a 2 digit code next it (14 or 16 for Blazer/Jimmy 14 for soft top, 16 for hard top..)
    Wonder what that electric option was...

5. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Well, this is sorta related, but I know some people claim to be able to adjust how much the window actually travels down into the tailgate. (so you don't have a stub of glass sticking out)

The later trucks will NOT allow you to adjust this, and perhaps thats where the differences come in, since the glass being lowered is what allows the latch to operate. Not sure why the rods to the latches themselves would be different, but at least the lever that actuates off of the glass would likely be, or how it mounts to the tailgate or mechanism.