Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

tailgate latch.

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by riz, Apr 1, 2000.

1. riz

riz 3/4 ton status

Last year I replaced the tailgate latch assembly on my 82 because when I bought it the old one was missing. Now here is my question. Does the assembly have to be in the tailgate a certain direction ? Do the contacts have to match up properly ? I hope I'm being clear, maybe not. I've installed it and now I can power the window down , but it wont go back up that is why I was wondering if it has to be put in the tailgate on way. I had the motor checked and it was fine. Any help would be appreciated.

2. Cmoe

Cmoe 1/2 ton status

Your talking about the swith on the drivers side safety switch for the power rear window is that correct? The switch is non directional. you may want to take off the rear panal and make sure your getting enough power to roll the window up. The rear window is very heavy and you may havve a weak motor too. If you added the power rear window you may want to upgrade your altinator to a high output.

C'moe

<font color=black>the blazer is "Back in Black"

3. dremu

dremu Officious Thread Derailer Premium Member

The power window in the tailgate has a switch on one side, one the little flippy gizmo that latches to the side of the bed (driver's side IIRC) which prevents it from being rolled up when the tailgate is open.

Open the tailgate and fiddle with the latch on the driver's side. The switch is prolly gunked up or the like.

IIRC you hafta remove the latch (four? fat phillips screws) to get to the switch.

-- A

'74 K5 Blazer "Tank Grrl"
    '77 Chalet sans Blazer
    and more to come...

4. Cmoe

Cmoe 1/2 ton status

The window shouldn't be able to be rolled down if the switch isn't working right! So the problem sounds like it is in the motor or wiring. Let me know if I'm wrong I can't go check my Blazer is in AZ.

C'moe

<font color=black>the blazer is "Back in Black"

5. 89Jimmy

89Jimmy 1/2 ton status

The safety switch will let the window go down anytime,(at least on my '89.) It's job is to keep the window down if it thinks the tailgate is not shut, that is, if the latch is in the open position. Mine failed in that mode, stopped power to the motor regardless of latch position and I had to jumper around the switch to close the window. A short,U shaped piece of wire is all you need.
    John

So Much to do, So LITTLE cash.

6. dremu

dremu Officious Thread Derailer Premium Member

Sorry, not the manual control switch; there's a second switch, prolly a "safety" thing, on the latch on the side. That's what I'm bitching about.

I say this 'cuz every now and again if I don't SLAM my tailgate shut, that latch doesn't latch and the switch opens and won't let me do the window. Grr.

-- A

'74 K5 Blazer "Tank Grrl"
    '77 Chalet sans Blazer
    and more to come...