Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Tailgate Latch

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Blazer_Boy, Jan 2, 2001.

1. Blazer_Boy

Blazer_Boy 1/2 ton status

I have an '82 with a hardtop and a busted tailgate latch. How hard is to change one of these. Its about 15 degrees outside during the day so I don't wanna do something that would take a lot of time. Of course having the other latch break and my glass breaking wouldnt be too fun either.

K5:Big, slow, and flys through snow. [​IMG]

2. Smitty

Smitty 1/2 ton status

The right latch quit working on my '82 last month. After I emptied a packed cargo area, I pulled the inner panel off and was able to reattach the rod to the latch. Hardest part was the unpacking......

Smitty

3. Blazer_Boy

Blazer_Boy 1/2 ton status

The end hook on mine on the outside is broken clean off. I wonder how the previous owner did it. He managed to break a spring, trash all 4 of the shocks and hook up the EFE system backwards and plug the rest of the hoses with masking tape (got everything A-OK now). I just dont feel comfortable with that thing bouncing whenever i go over a bump.

K5:Big, slow, and flys through snow. [​IMG]

4. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

I'll bet the latch got caught on something and moved into the "closed" position while the tailgate was open. Then when the tailgate didn't close, instead of figuring out what was wrong and opening the latch, he just kept slamming it harder.... [​IMG]

I think there are just 2 or 3 big phillips head screws that hold the latch in place. Remove those and the latch should just slide right out. You may have to also go inside the door to reach the actuator rod so you can unhook it from the old latch and then hook it back up to the new one. This gets kinda tricky because you'll need to put the window up in order to get your hands inside the door. If you have a power tailgate, there's an interlock switch on the tailgate (drivers side, I think) that prevents the window motor from running when the tailgate is open. You'll need to press the swtich in so you can roll up the window while still having access to the latch assembly and the actuator rod.

<font color=black>HarryH3 - '75 K5</font color=black>
    <A target="_blank" HREF=http://ThunderTruck.ColoradoK5.com>http://ThunderTruck.ColoradoK5.com</A>

5. Smitty

Smitty 1/2 ton status

You might be able to activate the interlock switch by closing the latch on the left side while you have the tailgate open. I had to bypass the switch in mine since it was bad when I got the truck. Figure I'm not dumb enough to try to close the gate with the window extended so I never replaced the switch.

Be real careful when you extend the window with the gate down, there isn't any support for the glass. Might want to have someone hold the glass or at least find something to support it.

Smitty