Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Tailgate latches

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Eric78K5, Aug 13, 2000.

1. Eric78K5

Eric78K5 1/2 ton status

Anyone have any trouble with either the left or right side tailgate latch not locking? I just finished installing the power window components, and while making sure that the window lined up with the tops track, I pulled on the tailgate. The passenger side came unlatched! Now I know where the squeeking noise was coming from when I hit a hard bump! It seems that the latch won't hold if pressured. Anyone else have this problem? Know what a new latch costs?

Eric78K5
    K5-Because Size Matters!

2. PattBlue

PattBlue Registered Member

My 1990 passenger side would'nt latch so I used 3..yes 3 body shims (like for the fender) between the side panel and latch. No problems yet and its been 2 months.

3. dawson444

dawson444 1/2 ton status

The left side of my gate won't latch all the way, you have to get out of the truck and push in the corner of the tailgate to get the window to go up, it is a super pain. I don't know if this is a similar problem but I am looking for a way to fix it. Let me know if you find an easy fix.

Dawson
    88 K5

4. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

I have problems latching my tailgate as well. What I have found is that the corners of the box where the gate latches is leaning out, check the body line at the side of the tailgate, if it is tight at the bottom and wider at the top the corner of the box may be begining to lean out. From what I have heard it is somewhat common on K-5s.

Rene <font color=red> 81 K-20 Jimmy </font color=red>
    <font color=green>[​IMG]"God hates a coward"</font color=green>[​IMG]

5. Udy

Udy Registered Member

I had the same problem with my '89. Niether side would latch! The window was the only think holding it closed! I spent some time investigating it. It was actually the part in the center of the tailgate that the handle attaches to. It should rock freely and return under the springs force. I ended up taking mine out, hitting it with "PB Blaster" and just kept trying to free it up. It came loose all of a sudden. I reinstalled it and added another return spring to ensure proper return. Hard to describe it because its been almost a year, but I hope this helps!