Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Tailgate Lock

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by behemoth, Sep 11, 2000.

1. behemoth

behemoth 1/2 ton status

Wasted the tailgate lock yesterday ('78 K5). Went to lock it and the whole mechanism came out with my key!! How much of a hassle is this going to be to fix/replace? Will I need to have a locksmith do this?

behemoth K5

2. Espen88k5

Espen88k5 1/2 ton status

Yours will look diffrent, but you have to go in from the back. Support the window, wind it down/upp from the inside when you have the acces-panel off. Remove the regulator asembly, slide it to the side so that you can get to the bolts holding the switch/handle.Then you order a new lock cylinder and it comes with a new key 30-50$ I think. Maybe if you only broke the clip holding the key-cyllinder in there, you can replace that with something once you have it out in the open. It will be self explanatory.
    Good luck!

[​IMG]

http://www.espen88k5.coloradok5.com

3. behemoth

behemoth 1/2 ton status

Thanks for the info. Yeah, I believe it may be just the clip cause the whole thing came out with the key. Does LMC have something like this or do I need to contact a Chevy dealer?

behemoth K5

4. Espen88k5

Espen88k5 1/2 ton status

The clip (on my 88)is a circular push down and rotate to lock thingy. It probably just rotatet by itself and unlocked. Should be a easy fix.

5. nyyef

nyyef 1/2 ton status

r u talking about the manual window or the electric.
    i ordered a manual handle and lock cyliner. the cylinder did not come with any clips or anything, and i am wondering if any one has one of those manuals that show the assembly. also i have a tailgate with an electric window (i dont want electric), but can i use the clips from it?

Knife.
    knife.coloradok5.com

6. behemoth

behemoth 1/2 ton status

Manual window ('78K5).

nyyef - where did you order your cylinder lock assembly and what did it cost you?

behemoth K5

7. Espen88k5

Espen88k5 1/2 ton status

The clip will only have one place to go and that's in the handle assemble cavity. The new key-cyllinder did not include the clip so I had to reuse the old one. But I'm sure something could be homebrewed to make it work..