Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Tailgate misalignment!!

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by 1989k5, Feb 27, 2004.

1. 1989k5

1989k5 Registered Member

I'm just getting to the end of a full restoration of a 1989 k5 that was severely rusted. I took it down to frame removed full rear fenders/floors/tailpan etc. The long and the short is now everything if painted and in place. The problem I have is my tailgate does not align with the fenders, right side closer than left. The right side actually latches the left side hangs back approx 1 inch as if something is twisted. The top of the fenders both lean out slightly. I can solve the fender lean problem by using a comealong to pull them together and put the top on, but have not found a way to pull in the gait. The bottom of the gate bottoms out against the carpet molding which hinders the inward lean of the gait. I have measured across corner to corner and my measurements are the same. I know this is a little hard to advise without seeing, I will try to get a photo on the post asap. Any suggestions would be appreciated. I plan to add all my restoration photos to my site as well.. Hope it will be interesting. This site has been great for advise and inspiration while pushing through my project.

2. 1989k5

1989k5 Registered Member

For those who are interested, I am trying to make my own exhaust using a pipe bender I purchased. I'm not making true duals, just a cat back. I made a splitter 1:2 with 3 inch pipe, then tonight I was bending pipe to clear my tank. Not as easy as I thought. I guess I will be working on it tomorrow. I have some nice chrome 4 inch tips that barely fit around my reciever. I put in hangers with self taping frame bolts that worked well. Should be able to finish the job tomorrow. It is nice to finely work on some of the fun things. Actually drove it for the first time in over a year, other than pulling in/out of garage. Top off, 40 degrees, lots of fun!! Next will be to swap out my 10b front/rear for a 44 and 12b which I salvaged from a 79 suburban for $100. Needs brakes/lines and to be cleaned. Internals look ok, will find out, the suburban had no motor. More later. If any advise on the tailgate it would be much appreciated. Will be nice to put the cap on.

3. big d

big d 1/2 ton status

i have that same exact problem with my rig, and mine was done by an auto body shop. i have a gap on one side of my gate no matter if i use a gm tailgate or aftermarket. let me know if ya get any answers. thanks. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif

4. NoSmog73

NoSmog73 1/2 ton status

Something is making that area the tail pan..area the main support that the gate bolts to underneath to sag..It could be body mounts, I have heard many people say it is rusted when they have the gap..Or the frame can be tweaked also...Mine is a 73 and I too have the gap with spacers under the latch area and I just replaced the body mounts and I still have a gap...just not as bad..I would tend to say that when the panes and supports were replaced the alignment could have been off to have a 1" gap...Jm2c..good luck

5. 1989k5

1989k5 Registered Member

Thanks for the reply. I thought some other people may have problems with this as well. The dillema is everything has been replaced with aftermarket parts, including the tailpan. My thought when assemblying the fenders/floors was that all of the pieces would be bolted or connected to the tailpan, which should be square. The hinges even bolt to it. I do know that aftermarket is notorious for being off a little requiring some minor to major massaging to work. I like your Idea on shimming the hinge, at least at the enough to create more inward lean although it will probably increase in height. I spent today working on making my homemade exhaust, which turned out just like sh?!. The bender I purchased from Northern Tool for $200 only collasped the pipe instead of bending it. What a piece of hell. They better take it back. Tuesday I plan a trip to my local exhause pro shop for a double tailpipe fitting. The rest of it I was able to manage on my own although most of the day was wasted trying to bend pipe. Anyway, I need to concentrate my efforts on more important stuff, like figuring out my tailgate problem. Pictures will come soon. Most of them are 35mm and need to be put on cd or scanned in. Thanks for the advise and I'll post my outcome when I figure out the geometry. [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ] I thought I was saving money buying an old truck to fix/drive, but it cost the same as new and I still have an old truck. WTF.

6. 1989k5

1989k5 Registered Member

Well, for those who care, I solved my tailgate alignment problem, just needed to think it through I guess. I had used
    1/2 inch pad under my carpet which contributed to my clearance problem. I trimmed it back, rescrewed down my aluminum trim plate which created more clearance. The other problem was my rear fender towers/channel, where the tailgate closes against was not set up properly to recieve the metal tabs that stick out near the top end of the tailgate jam. I tried sucking the tops of my fenders together with a comealong, but the problem was the slot cut near the top of the fender jam for the tab was too recessed behind the outer skin of the back of the fender. Both sides had this problem. What I did was cut the tabs off the tailgate. Then in order to pull the left side in tighter I reversed my left side catch for the latch on the tailgate. I also needed to place a few shims behind it for a deeper bite. This seemed to do the trick. All I have left to do is align the top of the left fender better, which can be done when I put on the top. I went down to my dads place today to pickup my chain hoist in order to pick up my top, although currently it is snowing and I only have room to do it outside, not enough clearance in my garage. WIll keep posted. As for my exhaust. I took back my pipe bender. Turns out it was never designed to bend light gauge metal such as exhaust pipe. Thank God, they were willing to take it back. $225 back in my pocket. My local exhaust shop only charged me $123 to install heavy 2 1/2 inch pipe, and welded in my chrome tips as well, they did a very nice job. Cheapest exhaust job I ever had for duals. Anyway, I'm nearing the end of my project. Will keep posting on progress. Have other questions to ask, but will create a separate post. Thanks for the support and inspiration!! [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ] RANGER: When you care enough to send the very best.