Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

tailgate motor

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 84gmcjimmy, Jun 30, 2006.

1. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

Hello all.

For some reason out of the blue my tailgate motor in my Jimmy (1984) doesn't work. I can't get it up or down with the inside control or with the key. BEFORE I could do it with the key every time, now it doesn't do anything, and I can't hear any sounds. This is while the truck is running so the battery has nothing to do with it.
    What can I do to fix this? I need to get the window down ASAP...

Thanks

2. blackblazer717

blackblazer717 1/2 ton status

hummm,
    did you check for power at the connector in the back going to the tailgate? underneath the inspection cover? while you have someone pushing the button or turning the key?
    LUKE

3. 2Dogs

2Dogs 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Take the cover off, inspect everything. From the tailgate open/down position you can roll the window up and down (get something or someone to support the window). Remove the cable at the motor side and attach a drill motor to the cable. You should be able to run it up and down with no problem. This also will be a good problem determination exercise.

This will work with the tailgate up also - just not as easy.

4. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

Is the tailgate firmly latched? There is an interlock switch that prevents the window from working if the tailgate isn't firmly shut...

Rene

5. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

The tailgate is loose, I will wiggle it around a bit. The hinges are hooped so it doesn't latch properly.
    It's in the up position so I cannot open the tailgate.

Thanks

6. ryoken

ryoken Puppy Fabricator Premium Member GMOTM Winner

What's with this "hooped" term all of a sudden?

7. Cornfield creations

Cornfield creations 1/2 ton status

Take the plate off and check everything like was previously mentioned. I used to not be able to lower mine but with the switch. After I took the esutcheon Off I found that a wire wore through on the key cylinder and it was grounding out on the tailgate.

Once you get it open You can raise the window up with the tailgate down by flipping out the latches, have someone hold the window with you do that.

8. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

I have been out at this lake with my moms boyfriends family a lot, and some of there friends say that word so it wore off on me...:doah:

9. tiger9297

tiger9297 1/2 ton status

If your motor is out good luck. They aren't available anymore. The local GM dealer got me a rebuilt one from somewhere in TX. I tried 3 different motors and none of them had the power to lift the window. That's after I had them install all new hardware and tracks. I don't know what the solution is to that problem.

10. spearchucker

spearchucker 1/2 ton status

Entertain this thought. The ground for the window motor is the motor casing itself. If your hinges/tailpan are rusty then there will be significant resistance for the ground. Try running a 10 or 12 gauge wire directly from the motor casing, through the existing wire harness for the window motor, and ground it to the bare metal on the frame. See if that helps. I haven't tried this since mine works fine, but it's just a theory I've always had.

11. tiger9297

tiger9297 1/2 ton status

Now that I think about it there is some rust on the hinges. I'll definitely try that. Thanks. :bow:

12. spearchucker

spearchucker 1/2 ton status

Don't forget to report back to let us know if that helps. :wink1:

13. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

UPDATE

Well I finally clued in and took the cable off the motor and hooked it up to a drill. That worked, I rolled it down like that. It was so simple, but so neat how it worked...

Took the motor out and tested it with 2 wires and the battery... it didn't move or make a single sound...so I am guessing it's dead.

Used a test light with the 2 wires that connect into the tailgate motor, none of them had juice so I don't know where they lost the juice. All this was done with the tailgate open, which I am assuming wouldn't affect the outcome?

What can I do?

14. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

Made a WTB post in the classified area for a motor.

Anyone lend a hand in telling me what to do?

15. sandawgk5

sandawgk5 3/4 ton status

You need to make sure you have the switches by the tailgate latch tripped to allow power to the motor if the tailgate is down. There is an interlock to keep you from operating the window with the tailgate not fully locked in the up position.

Ira

16. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

So power will not go to the window AT ALL if the tailgate is down? Where is the interlock thing I need to disable while the tailgate is down?

Can you confirm this...
    With the tailgate open, and the interlock not tripped, I will have NO power, nor will I have any power in the wires while using a test bulb? I need the tailgate closed or the interlock tripped before I can test it or use a test light?

Thanks

17. sandawgk5

sandawgk5 3/4 ton status

That is correct. All I do is trip the lock as if the tailgate is up and latched. I have never had any problems doing it this way.

Ira

18. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

Thanks I will retry it like that.

19. goldwing2000

goldwing2000 Guest

You know that both wires inside the plug are positive, right? The ground is to the body of the motor itself.

If it really is busted, Autozone sells them for $54 with a lifetime warranty. I don't why everybody thinks they're so hard to find.

CARDONE_REMAN Lift Motor - Window for a 1984 GMC Truck Jimmy 4WD
    Unit Price: $53.99
    Core Value*: $30.00
    Part No.: 42-20
    Weight: 4.5 lbs.
    Warranty: LLT

Definitely be sure you check for a good ground, too. That's what was wrong with mine when I bought it.

20. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

Didn't know that about both being positive... so I need to connect two wires from the positive end to those plugs to test it out of the tailgate? How do I check the ground since the ground is the case itself, is it inside or how can I clean it or fix it?

Thanks'