Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Tailgate problems

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by pplblazerdude, Sep 6, 2006.

1. pplblazerdude

pplblazerdude 1/2 ton status

So I have a problem that I dont even know where to start on and I thought some of you guys may be able to help me out. I have a 88 fullsize blazer. When I first got it you could roll down the rear window with the key and everything worked just peachy. Now it will not do anything at all when you put the key in there. Its like one day it would then the next day it just stopped. I would appreciate any help you can provide also if someone has a wiring diagram that would be real nice to have.

Thanks

Clint

2. Metrodps

Metrodps Strange but nice guy Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

Does it open from the dash switch? The key switch has two contacts that when you turn the key the little cam like part touches the contacts. One side is up other is down the ground is the tailgate to tail pan. If the latch on the left (i belove its left) is not latched it won't work. Search for tailgate won't open on the forums this was discussed a few weeks ago.

3. pplblazerdude

It will open from the dash swith. I would just like for it to open via the key. Also I cant do the search cause im not a paid member. If you could do it for me and send me the link that would be awsome.

4. Metrodps

Metrodps Strange but nice guy Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

LMC Truck and Classic Duty Parts sells the switch here is the link to thread

http://coloradok5.com/forums/archive/index.php/t-335.html

I am not a member either you just take a little time and use the search in upper right and besure you check ColoradoK5.com

Hope this explains it for you. from thread:

quote >"
    Open the acces-panel (20 Screws)
    "Click" over the catch on the tailgate on the drivers side.
    place garden-furniture to suport window as you roll it open.
    You can disconnect the cable at the motor and run it up with a Power-drill instead.(lots of fun).
    With the window out of the way you can remove the regulator-assembly 3-4 bolts and the hole thing can be taken out with ease.
    Now first you can get to the key-switch assembly. 2 quick nuts, jiggle and its out. Inspect, clean and order new parts.

When you get the switch out.Basically there is a "U" shaped contact with a cam in the middle .The cam is turned by the key.When turned the cam causes the "U" shaped contact to touch the outer contact and the window moves. On mine the contacts on both sides of the "U" were burnt. So I cleaned them off best I could and took the brass bottom part to an old bulb and a set of sidecuts and made 2 pieces just a wide as the contact and long enough to bend in half and go over it. I then soldered it in place where the old contacts were and it works like a charm.Seemed more fun then to but a new one for $50.00.
    < end quote"

5. pplblazerdude

ahh thanks a bunch man. I didnt notice you werent a member and have never noticed the ck5 part of the search lol.