Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

tailgate problems

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by 88jimmyoungowner, Nov 26, 2001.

1. 88jimmyoungowner

88jimmyoungowner 1/2 ton status

my 88 jimmy has a tailgate that you push and tug on a little bit before you get it open. Is this normal, and just needs a little grease, or is it a bigger problem?

16, 88 jimmy, give me advise if i ask for it, please!!!!!!!!!!!

2. Mr.Chevy4x4

Mr.Chevy4x4 1/2 ton status

The handle that you pull up on to release the tailgate pushes on a rod that releases the latches. Where this handle attaches to the push rod has a tendency to bend and the rod doesn't get pushed far enough to release. I pulled mine out and welded a small brace in there so it won't bend anymore. This is the problem I was having with mine. If there is something else that causes the same problem I don't know what it is. Good luck!

'85 K5 : Run it til it breaks, then fix it and go again!

3. shawnboy

shawnboy 1/2 ton status

Mine does the same, push and pull at the same time. My '90 has a sprung rod on either side which holds it tight, no rattles, but otherwise it works fine.
    Shawnboy.

<font color=red>If you are having too much fun it's probably illegal.</font color=red>

4. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

I have to push my tailgate in with my chest, pull the handle and then pull to get it to open. It has been this way as long as I can remember, and its normal to me.

My Chevy isn't broken, its just out of gas.

5. kpanza

kpanza 1/2 ton status

Just like the other guys have said, this unfortunately seems to be normal...that design they used for the handle is very weak and will break eventually. I just broke mine finally, and Chevy reamed me for $70 bucks for a new one!! If it wouldn't have been raining and I felt like sogging through the mud to look for a used one in the junk yard, I might have been able to find one cheaper - but most likely the ones in the junk yard will be bent already!! [​IMG] I am the only one who can open the tailgate, everyone else laughs at my "push-pull" method. Oh, and one other thing I learned, is DON'T let anyone else try to open it if they don't know what they are doing - this is why they bend, because people don't know how to open it "properly"!!!

6. Blazer_Boy

Blazer_Boy 1/2 ton status

Look up at the top of the inside of the gate, see those two pins? Those go in the holes on the top of the tailgate posts for a little more stability/strength. Provided that gap on your gate is still good, its an easy fix. You need a pry bar and a hammer to adjust them. You do want them to grab a pinch, but nothing excessive when they go in the holes. You can see by how they are shaped to tell how they work.

<a target="_blank" href=http://new.wavlist.com/movies/031/ag-blow.wav>"I ain't nobody, dork."</a>
    <a target="_blank" href=http://www.geocities.com/bigkern76>http://www.geocities.com/bigkern76</a>