Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

tailgate problems

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by balzer, Aug 4, 2000.

1. balzer

balzer Registered Member

i have an 83 jimmy and the tailgate wont roll all the way down, it stays out about an inch, how can i remedy this?
    and the inside swich works but the key to the doors, when used in the tailgate switch goes in and turns a little but nothing happens
    thanx

keep on truckin

2. Kelboski

Kelboski 1/2 ton status

it may need a new switch on the tailgate, or some wd-40 on the corrosion

3. Espen88k5

Espen88k5 1/2 ton status

All Blazer's leave the tailgate window sticking upp 1" or so. It's normal. Your door key is the one that should turn the tailgate window upp and down also. If it's the original tailgate key-cylinder. It could also have been replaced by previous owner at one time, and that wasn't the problem so he left it half-fixed. Open upp the tailgate and poke around a litle. go see the pictures in 82Jimmy's "tailgate suposed to work with key" post.
    If you need any more help, just repost.

<font color=blue>Espen88k5 at:http://www.espen.coloradok5.com</font color=blue>

4. Eagle86K5

Eagle86K5 1/2 ton status

Wrong.....not all Blazers leave the window up an inch...mine travels all the way down inside. Nothing is left out. And if you want instructions to repair the switch just email me. Save yourself 65.00

5. Steve88

Steve88 1/2 ton status

My 88 rear window stays up about a half inch. I've looked and looked inside and can't find anything blocking it from going all the way down. Eagle perhaps it's an 88 thing?

<font color=red>Steve88</font color=red>[​IMG]
    88K5 Silverado

6. Espen88k5

Espen88k5 1/2 ton status

Eagle, If you have the answer, why wont you post it so everybody can read?
    I know you fixed this with a lightbulb socket and some craftmansship way beyone me, but still. The keyswitch cyllinder was 60 USD in Norwegian money so it should be no more than 30 Dollars over there??!

7. Eagle86K5

Eagle86K5 1/2 ton status

I have posted how to fix the switch twice...my thoughts are to save space on the hard drive of this site and not repeat the process eveytime someone asks.

Steve88...it would be possible someone has had your tail gate apart at one time and did not get it lined up correctly when it was put back together. If it was me, I would run the window down, take the access panel off and disconnect the motor and try to manually roll the window down the rest of the way, then reattach the motor and try it.On every Blazer I have seen, the window rolls down out of the way, it is kind of dangerous having it stick up like that, you could hit it and break it.

8. MudFrog

MudFrog 1/2 ton status

I've often wondered about the tailgate leaving the window about an inch up also. Mine does this too. Maybe a late 80's thing??

89 K5 Silverado
    http://mudfrog.coloradok5.com

9. Eagle86K5

Eagle86K5 1/2 ton status

When I bought my 86, the rear window was gone, I had it replaced. The rear switch did not work so I took it apart and fixed it. Since day one, the window goes all the way down. Not saying it is right or anyone is right or wrong, but mine goes all the way down out of sight. As I suggested earlier it is possible that the gearing in the motor or cable might be off a bit or something is keeping it from going down all the way...

10. Espen88k5

Espen88k5 1/2 ton status

Okay Eagle,I'l still answer to these post's thoughBTW The windows stick out on many Blazers. I know that some of the drivers of the military-blazers, marked that area with red tape to help allert them of the window when loading. I read this on a big army-vehicle site.

11. 4x4blazer

4x4blazer 1/2 ton status

I have an '84 blazer. My rear window goes all the way in too. I'm not saying this is right or wrong, but that's the way mine works. But, mine is also a manual window...no motor, this might have something to do with it.

12. Jamie

Jamie Registered Member

There's a window stopper inside in the tailgate in the window. try bending this bracket down a little. worked for me.

13. fr8train

fr8train 1/2 ton status

Hmmm,

My 88 Jimmy doesnt go all the way down either. I cant find the bracket either.

14. bennevis

bennevis Registered Member

Same subject (tailgate) different problem. The inside latch was not working to release the tailgate from the up position. I have to reach inside the gate and pull on the cross bars to unlock the latch, BUT when the tailgate is down, I can pull out the latch on the side as if it were locked. When I then pull up on the handle to unlock the latches, it works. Can not figure out why it works in the down position, but not when it is closed. Thanks for any help.
    Bennevis
    82'K5

15. DBLAZER

DBLAZER 1/2 ton status

Hey, do what I did, take the tailgate off!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Have a Nice Day!!!

89 w/DANA 60-Corp 14 w/5:13s n Detroit's. 4"lift 2" body. AtlassII . Spray in liner.

16. Michael

Michael 1/2 ton status

bennevis, try pushing in on the tailgate while pulling up on the handle. It sounds like the latches are just binding up.
    Maybe a little lube on all the mechanisms would help allot. Sounds like everything works mechanically. On most Blazers there is some adjustment on the latches....you might try to back them off alittle so they are not so tight.

I'm with Eagle on the window issue....mine goes all the way down. I think they all would with the proper adjustment.
    Get in there and move some metal around......[​IMG] I also think allot of questions could be answered with some searching.....but that's just me.

Michael [​IMG] http://jmartin.net/parker/goose.htm

17. 90K5

90K5 1/2 ton status

For the handle not opening the tailgate when its up, just take the access panel off, get a pair of pliers and twist the rod. This will tighten it up so it will open better. My window stays about an inch up too. It also makes a clunk when I roll it up but I think its cause I put the window in wrong.

90K5

18. 82Jimmy

82Jimmy 1/2 ton status

Damn the Tailgates! Everyone has something wrong with them! Mine pops and makes a LOUD squeaking noise all the way down. then leaks tons of dirt in the cab after going on dirt roads.....even the exhaust fume smell comes through! I wonder if it would be cheaper to pay $450 and get a new one? Later

<font color=blue>If its too loud, your too old.</font color=blue>
    http://82Jimmy.coloradok5.com