Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Tailgate Probs.....

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by BlaznRebel, Dec 15, 2002.

1. BlaznRebel

BlaznRebel 1/2 ton status

OK here goes i've tried and tried to fix my rear gate and it won't stop bouncing. I adjusted the latch inside the bed but it still bounces and bangs every bump I hit. Has anyone else had this problem? Also can it be fixed without have to buy a new gate?thnx /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif

2. mch

mch Registered Member

I recently got a K5, and a previous owner had put locks on each side at the top of the tailgate. Hard to describe but kind of like flush deadbolt for cabinets. I took them off to paint, and see how much the tailgate now sticks out without the installed locks. I'll probably put them back on.

3. jjlaughner

jjlaughner 3/4 ton status

pics please! I'm looking to get my tailgate lock recored but this is an interesting idea if the deadbolts could be lockable! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif

4. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

latches are wore out . If you look at the latch on the body it's going to have a groove wore in it. The latch in the gate will have the same problem.
    I haven't had time to fix my wifes 79 for the same problem. You cna fix both with a welder and fill the low spot and reshape with a grinder. The rest of the equasion is a new gate seal that isn't hard as a brick.

5. BlaznRebel

BlaznRebel 1/2 ton status

Think i found the problem... I went to Wally World to pick up a new TV and when i got home and went to take it out i realized that one of the carrige bolts was sticking up out of the bed.started looking and both of the back bolts don't have nuts on them and i can take them out. Think that could be where the banging is coming from? hehe

6. mch

mch Registered Member

Well luckily I took a bunch of pictures from when I 1st bought it, and various times during the body work process. Here's a link to the best pick I have of the locks. If you can't make them out, you got 1 component screwed into each side. 1 side is a simple loop, and the other has the deadbolt/pin. It locks into place, but it isn't lockable like needing a key or anything. I'm not planning on making it a show truck or anything, so it does what is needed.
    [​IMG]

7. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

Bootie fab at it's finest! You could put them on the inside just as easy I bet /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif