Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Tailgate Q

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Skigirl, May 22, 2001.

1. Skigirl

Skigirl 1/2 ton status

Hi everybody. This is my first post, tho I've talked to some of you in Chat (thanks guys, for all the help). I thought this question would be appropriate for a post. I've read all previous posts about tailgates, but didn't see the answer to this Q. I have a 76 with manual window. The key works, the window cranks up and down just fine. The tailgate isn't rusty, but has a stress crack at the top of the gate about 1 1/2" long. A friend of mine said that this is bad and I should replace the tailgate. I don't want to trade this problem for other ones that may be worse if this isn't a big deal. What do you think? Also, my window doesn't go all the way down (leaves about 1/2"). I've read posts that say this is normal and others who say theirs goes all the way down. Anybody know for sure which way it is?

2. '73 K5

'73 K5 1/2 ton status

The crack can be repaired. Replacing the whole gate would be as silly as getting a new computer because the monitor won't work.
    I also wouldn't worry too much about the window thing. Mine's the same way.

'73 K5
    Chevy good...Ford bad

3. Tuskadero

Tuskadero Registered Member

Is the stress crack on the left side and goes all the way up vertically? I have a stress crack on my 1989 Blazer there. i have a power back window though and I plan on getting it welded eventually. It's a problem that is worth fixing I hope, let me know on what you decide to do thanks,

Heather

4. Pugsley

Pugsley 1/2 ton status

No reason to worry about the crack - It's a piece of cake to fix. As for your window, no concern there either. My 85 has a power window, and it either leaves about 1/2" hanging out, or goes down all the way depending on it's mood. Just consider it a personality quirk[​IMG]!

I have voluntarily axed "Pancho" in a bandwidth conservation effort [​IMG]

5. muddin4fun

muddin4fun 3/4 ton status

It can be fixed. It's real common on blazers. I have one, but I think it's cause of the tire carrier.

[​IMG]
    <A target="_blank" HREF=http://k5chevyblazer.homestead.com/home.html>http://k5chevyblazer.homestead.com/home.html</A>

6. Skigirl

Skigirl 1/2 ton status

Thanks for the input. 73K5, I kinda thot that too. The crack isn't that big. It's a vertical one at the very top of the tailgate on the left side, and pretty small. Doesn't affect anything operationally. I was a little surprised when my friend said to replace it. He knows a lot of stuff about k5's so it confused me a bit. I'll let the body shop fix it. There's so much more to throw my money at :-)

7. Skigirl

Skigirl 1/2 ton status

BTW, I was reading past posts about windows not going all the way down, and one guy welded a piece onto the tailgate on either side of the window to prevent it from being broken inadvertently when the tailgate's down. I'll need to put the tailgate up and down alot and don't want the window to shatter cuz someone wasn't watching when they threw all their ski gear in, so maybe I'll do something like that, if it's not going to roll all the way down consistently.

8. jimmyjack

jimmyjack 1/2 ton status

I had one welded up. It recracked and the other side followed. Now I have two!

"My blazer may be slow, but it goes faster at higher speeds"

Jim

9. JunkYardCrawler

JunkYardCrawler 1/2 ton status

now you got twins.

10. Redfrog

Redfrog 1/2 ton status

Both of my K-5s have "the cracks" on both sides one I am replacing due to a problem I AAAAAA ran in to in a creek.
    the other is so rusted it will barely open so I dought that it gets fixed

HEY Fords!!! how many flushes does it
    take to get rid of you