Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Tailgate Question / Greetings from Key West, FL

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by dawson444, Aug 5, 2000.

1. dawson444

dawson444 1/2 ton status

Well, hey guys its me again. I am currently sitting Key West, FL on vacation. This place is awesome. I saw a 80 something K5 yesterday and today a red 90 or 91 Blazer with what looked like 33" tires and 2" lift, they had a big BFG sticker on the windshield. Well, the reason I am writing this is I have a problem with my blazer and I meant to post this before I left but I didn't so I will post it now. This is probably going to sound confusing but I will do the best I can, I had pictures but I left them at home if you all don't know what I am talking about I will post the pics when I get back. When you put down the rear window it will go down fine but to put it back up you have to either get someone to push on the top left of the tailgate and push the button in the cab or get out and use the key I usually push the top left of the tail gate in w/ my shoulder and use the key to put the window up. You have no idea of how much a PAIN this is! I have "studied" it and what it is is the left side of the tailgate is not closing completely (there is nothing blocking it) and latching. There is this a metal piece coming out of the locking mechanism on the left side of the tailgate that it swings around when it catches and latches where it meets on the truck. This piece does not swing around all the way and I guess when it swings around it trips the sensor. So when you push in on it it allows the metal piece to swing around and catch. I was wondering if anyone knows how to fix this I have talked to a few people in the chat room and they suggested to oil everything up including the gears inside the tailgate I did that and still that and it didn't help. I am going to get the mechanic to look at it next time I have to take it to him. But I was going to see if you guys knew any way to fix it and save the mechanic from charging me an arm and a leg. I have tried using duct tape and little piece of wood to try to get the sensor to swing around sooner but I didn't have any luck. Another option I am looking for is if there is somehow I can disable the sensor that I guess keeps you from rolling up the window while the tailgate is down. I am open to any suggestions that will allow me to roll up the window without touching it. Thanks people!

Dawson
    88 K5

2. 90K5

90K5 1/2 ton status

To trick the sensor just pull the latches out when the tailgate is down and you can roll up the window. You need to put something under the window like a plastic trash can or a chair to keep it from breaking. Try ajdusting the catch for the latch. Also my window used to stop about 2/3 of the way up and id have to push on the window or else roll it down and roll it up again and it would usually go in like I was getting momentum going but it was really as fast as it was before.

90K5

3. dawson444

dawson444 1/2 ton status

Hey 90K5 what you mean by "adjusting the latch"? How do I do it? Is there anyway to disable it?

Thanks!

Dawson
    88 K5

4. 90K5

90K5 1/2 ton status

On the interior there is a little bar type thing that the latch attaches to when you close it. Try unbolting it and moving it forward and bolting it in again. I think you should be a ble to do this but im not positive. To disable it so you can roll the window up and down with the tailgate down get the two latches on the side of the tailgate and pull them out so they will think the tailgate is closed.

90K5

5. BlazerGuy

BlazerGuy 3/4 ton status

To trip the sensor, push the driver's side latch down until it clicks twice.

YEEEEE HAWWWWW[​IMG]

6. dawson444

dawson444 1/2 ton status

Ok, thanks for all your suggestions I will work on it when I get home. Thanks!

Dawson
    88 K5