Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Tailgate Question - Please Help

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by larryslamps, Nov 10, 2006.

1. larryslamps

larryslamps Registered Member

Hello to all, this is my first post. I just purchased my first k5. It is a 87 silverado model with only 62K origional miles. My question is, everything on the truck works perfectly with the exception of the power rear window. The
    motor will turn but the window refuses to budge. Any suggestions on what is causing this? Or should I just buy a manual rear handle and if so what do I need to buy to convert it from power to manual? Thanks in advance for your help. - Andrew

2. 4X4HIGH

4X4HIGH 1 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

If you can hear the motor turning but no window movement i would check for a bad cable.

3. larryslamps

Does the cable turn inside the plastic cover? There is some rust on the inside of the cable. I was thinking if it did I could just remove the plastic covering entirely as a temp. fix. I really need to fix it tonight so I can take the k5 for hunting tomorrow, but I can't if I don't have anywhere to put a deer.

4. Muddytazz

Muddytazz 1 ton status

Yes the cable spins inside the plastic sleeve, but have no idea if it actually comes out or not.

5. larryslamps

I could probably cut the plastic off if I needed to, but would hate to put that much time into it if it wouldn't help. Any suggestions on a manual conversion?

6. stus84

stus84 1/2 ton status

unhook the cable and hook it up to your drill spin it very slowly and it will go up and down - this is a temp fix.

7. stus84

stus84 1/2 ton status

I see you are on here right now - any questions about the temporary fix before I go to lunch since I saw you needed it fixed tonight.

8. larryslamps

I have already got the access panel off, so I guess just tighten the chuck down on the cable ? Thanks so much for the help by the way.

9. Muddytazz

Muddytazz 1 ton status

Yeah, take the cable off the window motor, chuck it up in a drill motor and use the drill to move it up and down

10. larryslamps

tHANKS ! - I'll try it out when I get home. I had a 86 K10 that I used to have and I always lusted for a k5 (traded my wifes 99 cougar for it even) gotta love that. AC blows cold. engine is strong, no oil usage, interior is
    mint, only thing is its the Indian bronze - not too hot on the color, but I will get used to it. I look forward to becoming a full fledged member soon. Thanks again.

11. larryslamps

Well, I hooked the cable up to the drill, went slowly, and the cable snapped in the middle somewhere. So, this leaves me at 2 choices - ordera new cable from LMC for $25 and hope it is easy to get the other side unbolted to replace the cable or LMC has a manual tailgate handle that is $39 but will it crank the window up and down with a power window regulator in there?
    I went hunting and luckily I removed the back seat and passenger seat
    because I got a deer and had to put it in the blazer through the passenger door wrapped in a tarp. :mad: Any body ever messed with a manual tailgate handle or converted from power to manual? The only thing that scares me about the power unit is although it still has power and the motor spins, the little metal collar that holds the plastic retainer and the cable into the motor
    fell apart in my hands and LMC doesn't sell it. So even if I get a new cable how will I get it to stay put in the motor?

12. 4X4HIGH

4X4HIGH 1 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

All of the internals are different between manual and power.

13. Metrodps

Metrodps Strange but nice guy Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

Hey Larry I have a 1987 too so you can always ask me questions too. I own all the factory service manuals too. If you don't mind what part of KY you from anywhere near Monroe County?

14. larryslamps

I am from floyd county in the eastern mountains. I guess I am going to have to buy a new cable and try to rig it from coming out of the coupler.