Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

tailgate question

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Doug, Oct 3, 2001.

1. Doug

Doug Registered Member

I don't have a owners manual with my newly acquired Blazer, does the key for the tailgate also control the window (mine doesn't now), or does it work only with the swith on the dash. Newby questions I know, but I don't know.

'85 k5, 350, 700r4, np208, 10 bolts, as of 10/2001; wish list is extensive.

2. Itali83

Itali83 1/2 ton status

The door lock key DOES work the tailgate window from the outside, the reason yours dosen't work is because the switch is broken. I'm betting that 9 out of 10 tailgate keys don't work because of a bad switch. It isn't that bad to fix it but looks a lot harder. You basically need to take all the guts out of it to get to the outside switch, then replace it and put it all back together. Hope I helped.
    Be 87 JImmy
    <font color=blue>Rust=Bad</font color=blue>
    <a target="_blank" href=http://www.bens87toy.alloffroad.com>www.bens87toy.alloffroad.com</a>

3. Burbinator

Burbinator 1/2 ton status

Yes. Rotate left for "up", right for "down". You might take off the tailgate interior panel and see if the window or arm assembly has disconnected your wires for you.

- Alan

'91 2500 Suburban Silverado 4X4
    '82 K10 Suburban Silverado

Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut!

4. Capman2k

Capman2k 3/4 ton status

how about for those that only go down with the key? Same story or what?

79 K5 Blazer Cheyenne.... That's all I have to say about that.

5. Burbinator

Burbinator 1/2 ton status

Should be the same operation for those as well.

- Alan

'91 2500 Suburban Silverado 4X4
    '82 K10 Suburban Silverado

Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut!

6. NE79

NE79 1/2 ton status

I was very pleased at how easy it was to tear down the tailtgate. Took me about 2 hrs. to take it apart, grease it, clean the safety switch and put it back together. Very easy.

uh-oh

7. TXsizeK5

TXsizeK5 1/2 ton status

thats why im glad i have a custom deluxe... manual windows and locks.. no fusess to blow.. no motors to fail =-))

6in 87' K5 w/ 35" BFG muds.
    305/Sm465/ NP208, 4.11's coming soon.
    Kn filter

8. taterblazer

taterblazer 1/2 ton status

Rear window concerns..

I really don't like the rear window at all! Power rear window sux big time. Anybody know of an inexpensive manual kit?

9. DieselDan

DieselDan 1/2 ton status

Re: Rear window concerns..

I'm with you Tater. That power window is a pretty big electrical drain (not running), even with dual batteries. I frequently go camping and you have to secure all your food in your vehicle (bear problem, ya'know). Window up, then down, repeat as beer holds out. If I trip over a manual crank mechanism (or the power window craps out) I'll replace it.

Real trucks don't have spark plugs!

10. Blazer_Boy

Blazer_Boy 1/2 ton status

Another thing to check for is to see if it has juice. There are three wires running to the gate for power. Brown is for down, blue is for up, and orange is the constant hot to run the key switch. That orange one should have juice for the key to work.

<a target="_blank" href=http://www.geocities.com/bigkern76>http://www.geocities.com/bigkern76</a>

11. Espen88k5

Espen88k5 1/2 ton status

I have a mini-write upp on my page if you want to look at tailgate guts. Link below:

<font color=red><a target="_blank" href=http://www.espen88k5.alloffroad.com>www.espen88k5.alloffroad.com</a></font color=red>