Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Tailgate rattle

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by sting, Aug 14, 2000.

1. sting

sting Registered Member

My 84 tailgate has a rattle...There are two flat steel bars ....one on the right@left side at the top,
    which when closed go in to a retangular slot in the body ...I think this is the culprit...Should there
    be a rubber gromet that fits in that hole?......Mine does not have any and the dealer said nothing goes in ther
    SO any ideas, its driving me nuts.....

2. Emmettology 101

Emmettology 101 3/4 ton status

See if you can see on the metal where it is rubbing and the put a smal piece of duck tape or something on it, thta will probably reduces it a little. Or you can put a thick grease on it.

If you can get to it with the gate up, try having someone sit back there while you drive and see if they can make it stop rattling.

Mike [​IMG]
    1982 GMC Jimmy - <font color=green>Emmett</font color=green>
    http://emmett.coloradok5.com

3. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

Check that the body has'nt spread outward at the top. Close the tailgate and take a good look at the body lines between the gate and the box, they should be close to the same width at the top and the bottom.
    Check that the latches on the tailgate latch properly, someone else posted earlier about having to add some shims to make his tailgate latch properly and stop squeaking.
    Or just hit it with a bigger hammer [​IMG] [​IMG] , if you dick around with your tailgate for long enough this becomes a much more serious option [​IMG]

Rene <font color=red> 81 K-20 Jimmy </font color=red>
    <font color=green>[​IMG]"God hates a coward"</font color=green>[​IMG]

4. Espen88k5

Espen88k5 1/2 ton status

I dont think the two steel- bars do anything else than line upp the tailgate with the body.And there is no rubber in my 88 either. What basicly holds the tailgate to the frame is the latches on the sides.(you can make them out at the bottom of the picture) Try cleaning al the old gunk out of them and use new grease. That wont stop the ratling but maybe quiet it down some. While you have it unscrewed be creative and see if you cant file the holes oval on the latch, to screw it back and adjust it a litle tighter.

See, I told you you would get mor action here!!![​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG]

http://www.espen88k5.coloradok5.com