Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Tailgate rattling. How to fix?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by cdh, Apr 18, 2003.

1. cdh

cdh Registered Member

I have replaced the weatherstrip on the hard top and tailgate. I have adjusted the tailgate at the hinges, tightened everything inside of the tailgate, and nothing seems to cure it. I have stopped alot of rattles but there is still one left. I don't know what else to check. Please help!!!!

Thanks

2. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

[ QUOTE ]
    I have replaced the weatherstrip on the hard top and tailgate. I have adjusted the tailgate at the hinges, tightened everything inside of the tailgate, and nothing seems to cure it. I have stopped alot of rattles but there is still one left. I don't know what else to check. Please help!!!!

Thanks

[/ QUOTE ]
    The latch is worn. THe part on the gate will wear down and it also wears a groove in the part on the body to the point you can't totaly adjust it out. You can fill the worn area with a mig welder and then a few minutes with a grinder to shape it.
    Window regualtors and tracks are also a source of rattles. The bottom of the tracks are prone to rusting out and it lets the tracks and window move back and forth.