Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Tailgate/rearwindow alternatives?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by StuShoots, Oct 10, 2005.

1. StuShoots

StuShoots Newbie

I'd like to do away with my tailgate/rear window, but as that I live in upstate NY, I need coverage in the winter. I'm thinking plexi-glass type material or a canvas/clear plastic set up. I don't expect it to be air tight or perfect in any way, just to keep the snow out in the winter months. Any ideas?

Last edited: Oct 10, 2005
  2. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

Duct tape and Saran Wrap??

One guy I know with a K5 got rear ended and his tailgate got caved in and it broke the window..instead of buying another tailgate(none around in the boneyards any good)--he used a rear window from an old pickup truck cap,and a pickup tailgate he found at the boneyard instead of the Blazer style..

The chevy pickup tailgate bolted right on using the hardware off the pickup..he had to drill into his fiberglass roof to mount the cap window--he used those rubber "Well Nut" things like they use on mirrrors and roof racks to bolt it on...it actually didn't look too bad,and he didn't miss the power window that didn't work right most of the time in his old tailgate much..

He even said he'd have made a plywood "cover" for the rear window and used a slider window from a truck cab ,if he hadn't seen the truck cap with the perfect sized window-(I think it was a "Reese" brand truck cap)..he even hooked up the strut things so it worked just like it did on the pickup cap!..he spent the rest of the insurance money on booze.. :haha: :crazy:

3. jarheadk5

jarheadk5 1/2 ton status

Pickup tailgate - bolts right in unless your bed side posts are rusted to s**t like mine...
    Plexiglass/Lexan cut to the shape of the K5 tailgate window. Slide the window into the seals on the top, then close the gate.

4. Blue85

Blue85 Troll Premium Member

The best way to do this is to install a pickup tailgate, have it painted to match and then install a soft-top. It's not cheap, but soft tops are cool.