Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Tailgate Regulator Cable

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by daleearnhardt01, Jan 9, 2004.

1. daleearnhardt01

daleearnhardt01 1/2 ton status

Anything special about replacing the cable in the tailgate? Last time I was in there the end that connects to the regulator looks kinda hard to get off. Do I need to drill a hole and put a bolt through the arms when Im doing this?

2. BamBamblazer

BamBamblazer 1/2 ton status

No, it is real easy. Just get your new cable and go to it! i replaced mine in about 15 minuites and 13 of that was removing and replacing the tailgate panel. /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

3. Muddytazz

Muddytazz 1 ton status

The cable just unscrews at both ends....nothing to it /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

4. 87BrnRsd

87BrnRsd 1/2 ton status

Yeah, most of the time will come from taking the access panel off. The cable unscrews on the right side (if your looking at it from inside the truck), and im pretty sure it just pulls off on the left side. Getting the new cable in is a piece of cake. The left side may take a little bit to get the square end of the cable lined up in the hole, but shouldnt take more than a minute or two at most. Trust me, I just did mine about 3 days ago.
    -Harrison

5. tungsten

tungsten 1/2 ton status

Where did you guys get the replacement cable? Chevy Duty?

6. BamBamblazer

BamBamblazer 1/2 ton status

I got mine from the dealer. Dont know if it was more then chevy duty but i do know i got t when i wanted it! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

7. daleearnhardt01

Dealer for 28.00 /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

8. daleearnhardt01

Dang its still really slow, albeit its only 20 degrees outside so that could be half the problem. Im going to replace the motor too this weekend sometime. Anybody ever replaced the transmission that the other end of the cable plugs into? Maybe thats the prob....

9. Muddytazz

Muddytazz 1 ton status

I've replaced the motor, cable and transmission in my sisters k5, everything is unbolt and bolt new back on. IIRC tho, the transmission part is where you want to watch your fingers...i may be wrong tho, its been 2 yrs since i did that.

10. crawlink5

crawlink5 1/2 ton status

I replaced the motor because it was moving slow and would stop about half way up. Changed the key switch, too. Cleaned and oiled the cable. greased all gears and arms.

No difference.

Greased the two side tracks/guides that guides the window up and down. This helped a lot. Only thing so far that has made a difference.

Still slow going up, but it makes it all the way. I wonder if my spring is in there(?). Anyway, I'm not completely happy yet, works better when hot out.

11. daleearnhardt01

Well crap, found out why the window wouldnt go up all the way.....felt on the right channel was all bunched up and stopping the window. Then sometime while I was in there the glass got out of the channel and now I cant get it back in...any ideas. To bad these channels arent that old, I just replaced em back in the summer. Anyway to get the channels out without taking the glass out?

12. Muddytazz

Muddytazz 1 ton status

Bypass your window safety switch if not already adn roll your window up with the tailgate down(support the glass tho). Then you can get to the channel after taking off the inspection panel. IIRC there are just 2 bolts that hold them on /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

13. K5 NUTT

K5 NUTT 1/2 ton status

By passing the deadman switch will help with speed...but..2 years ago when i dropped my fuel tank to do the tbi swap the wiring thru the frame was pretty old and the insulation cracked off with slight handling...so between the two i'd imagine that the resistance in the circuit is pretty high..so i think rewiring from the firewall back would solve the problem.

DW

14. daleearnhardt01

Yeah I bypassed that switch long ago. Looks like I can get the channel out by the way you described. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

15. daleearnhardt01

Ok guys heres a question, between Advance and Autozone are the window motors any better? Its 20 bucks more at Advanced.

16. daleearnhardt01

Went out there today to clean up and dang that new cable made a huge difference, dont need a new motor. Still got to put a new track on the one side but that aint no biggie. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif