Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Tailgate Replacment

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by jonski, Apr 24, 2004.

1. jonski

jonski Registered Member

Can someone explain to me the easiest way to exchange all of the parts from my old 1988 Blazer tailgate into my new aftermarket one. A good order of events...like which parts to take off first, etc.

By the way, I have power rear window.
    Thanks,
    Jon

2. bablazer73

bablazer73 1/2 ton status

This is the way i do it.
    First i open the gate, and then latch the drivers side catch. This will allow you to put the window up a bit. Remove the trim pieces from the top. The end caps are held in with 2 screws each. Remove the inner and outer window seals. THEN put the window up about 1/2 way. There are 4 bolts that hold the window in on the channel. remove them and then slide the window up and out. At this poit, i would unbolt the window motor and unscrew cable from the regulater.(remove wiring from motor) there are 4 bolts that hold the regulater in. You might have to manually turn the gears to line up the gears for bolt access. remove the regulater. I would next remove the wiring. there are 2 plugs on the left side of the gate, unplug them. There is a plug on the left latch that you can unplug, But i think to get the one off the key switch, You will have to pull that before it will unplug. But thats just 2 bolts from the inside of the gate. Then snake the harness out. at this point, all thats left is the latches, inside handle and the window tracks. (and support cables)
    The tricky part of the gates is those springs that wrap under the bumper!! I don't have any tricks to pulling them out with the bumpers on. I have Always removed the bumper. That allows you full access to the lower spring mounts. With the bumper off and the gate almost in the closed position, you can just lift the gate up and out. then transfer those to the new gate. I almost always gut the gate on the truck. It's easier to lift off empty!!

3. jonski

jonski Registered Member

Thanks for the information....sounds great.

If you are talking about the torque rods, I don't have any on the old tailgate now. The previous owner took the tailgate off for some reason and just cut the rods. They are in the gate, but the parts that wrap under the bolts are cut off. Don't know if I need them or not. Does anyone know?

Thanks,
    Jon