Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Tailgate rotted off

Discussion in 'The Body Shop' started by Mastiff, Mar 19, 2005.

1. Mastiff

Mastiff 1/2 ton status Premium Member

So we were loading some junk in my CUCV and the rusty spots where the tailgate bolts/hinges to the box just gave out on both sides. There's almost no good metal left on the pillars at all. Do you guys think this is repairable if I don't care much how it looks? I think I can get a rust free box for a few hundred bucks, so I'm not sure which way to go.

2. bablazer73

bablazer73 1/2 ton status

LMC truck sell a tailgate post overlay. It's heavier than the stock metal. goes from the top of bed to the top of the floor. Has holes for the tailgate parts, but need to nut and bolt pieces on.
    I couldn't find it on their website to show you. The part #'s are 38-6620 for left side, and 38-6621 for the right. 27.95 each. 1-800-lmc-truck.

3. Mastiff

Mastiff 1/2 ton status Premium Member

I saw those in the catalog. I'm not sure I understand exactly where they'd connect or what I'd have to cut out to put them in. I have almost no good metal on those posts at all. It's rotten where the tailgate connects on the bottom, plus the taillight assembly is barely connected to anything.

It'd be $70 or so by the time I got those with shipping. I think I'll find out how much a whole new box is first.