Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Tailgate Rotted out Replacement Tip?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by foxman, Dec 4, 2001.

1. foxman

foxman 1/2 ton status

Well, I've been putting it off for a while now, but I think it is time. Where Can I get one of these tailgates without droping my shorts on the wholre deal? I need a whole thing including the motor, glass and innards. Please tell me there is something out there! Thanks. (90 K5)

2. shawnboy

shawnboy 1/2 ton status

If you want the full meal deal it will be very $$$$$ to buy new. I would recommend your nearest boneyard or go to our parts for sale page and check there.
    Shawnboy.

<font color=red>If you are having too much fun it's probably illegal.</font color=red>

3. pilgrim

pilgrim 1/2 ton status

i had the same problem , my tailgate was so rotted that it wasn't even worth opening. so i ripped into it and first replaced the rear crossmember with 4x4" 1/8 wall tubeing. for a good base. than it's just a matter of some 1" square tube and some welding to make the gate. i chose to use the locks / and cut off the top section of the old gate to reuse them, than cover the outside with sheetmetal. the top door now hinges from the roof instead of coming up from inside the gate. it really wasn't that hard to make although it took some time. i love it and it was cheap , i'll get some pics soon

85 sub / 350 rebuilt / 14bolt ff ,w-detroit/ dana 60 w-posi / sm 465 / np 205 / 6" lift / 38.5 swamper sx / 10000 ramsey / custom tailgate