Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Tailgate Rust

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by jdhall13, Dec 19, 2001.

1. jdhall13

jdhall13 Newbie

Have a small rust patch on the tailgate just above the bumper. Used small grinding wheel to take the rust out leaving some room for a bondo repair. I really want to get inside the tailgate to get to the source. I've never taken the tailgate apart but I see that the door accessing the motor can be removed. Is there a better way to get to the very bottom of the tailgate to remove the rust? Thanks for the help in advance

2. Blue85

Blue85 Troll Premium Member

I don't think that you can take the bottom of the tailgate apart, but you may be able to get in through the acess panel enough to clean it up and prep it for some POR-15.

<font color=green>Today's Forecast: Partly cloudy with a chance of mud</font color=green>

3. 73 K5 Blazer

73 K5 Blazer 1/2 ton status

With the window up you can get in there and give it a good coat of POR-15. That will take care of the rust. That is what I did to mine.