Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Tailgate shell replacement

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by muddbogg89, Dec 26, 2002.

1. muddbogg89

muddbogg89 Registered Member

Mar 19, 2002
    My tailgate rust can't be cured by fiberglass /forums/images/graemlins/mad.gifanymore.
    I'ts about as flimsy as a paper plate trying to hold a T-bone steak. /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif
    My ouestion is how hard is it to put the guts in one of those J.C. whitney tailgates?
    I have the power glass.
    thanks /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif
  2. Ben Malinski

Ben Malinski Guest

Go with GM OEM. You want a good fit and tight seal. Aftermarket is fine on some things but in your case, no. It's easy to remove the guts but time consuming. A new tail gate won't include the guts. I'd also replace the window chanels; you can bet that they are rusted! Contact a bone yard in the SW (Arizona/Texas) where it's rust free. You might score on a good used tail gate with the insides.
    I went through the same thing last month. Replaced the tail gate and guts. Cost $100.00. But, I'm in Korea. We have hundreds of K5's sitting around in the bones yards through out the country. You'll regret buying aftermarket body parts.
  3. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Dec 13, 2000
    As Ben says, avoid the aftermarket when you can.

I've paid attention to this portion of the aftermarket, tailgates are made MUCH thinner aftermarket for one thing, and second of all, the finish is terrible...tack welded together, but the ends aren't folded over or sealed at all, so water will get in the seams.

Too many people complain of aftermarket tailgates folding from small amounts of weight for me to be able to recommend one, especially since a *good* Blazer tailgate is so critical to most of us. It's not like you can just lift it out of the way when you want to load something heavy in the back, and it needs to hold that window fairly steady.

Buy new GM or used GM, and be anal about keeping rust from forming on it.
  4. jcg

jcg 1/2 ton status

Mar 19, 2000
    I got an aftermarket tailgate but I went through my dealer's body shop for it. They have a rating scale for the quality of aftermarket parts and this supplier was at the top, just below OEM, so it's put together very well. They gave me their cost on it so it was only around $175, compared to the $400 for the OEM one.

Just my luck though, 3 months later while yanking on a hummer cause the owner was too lazy to use his winch, a clevis snapped and went straight through the gate!! /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif Shattered the back window and left a nice tear in the outer skin of the gate. The a$$hole just laughed when he saw it and said "wow, did my truck do that?!?" /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif He could afford $85,000 for the hummer (1 of 4 he owned) to be used as a dedicated trail rig, but he couldn't give me $200 for a new tailgate. /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif

Sorry, got off on a tangent there and now I'm all mad...

Anyway, try a good body shop or dealer (one that doesnt screw people) and see if they can hook you up with a quality aftermarket one. The OEM ones are just too damn expensive.
  5. Blazer_Boy

Blazer_Boy 1/2 ton status

Dec 16, 2000
    They're a PIA to change. /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif I had a hell of a time getting my torque rods all bolted up and working. Glad I have them now! All GM $tuff too.